Springfield-Greene County Libraries Reopen Tuesday, May 26
May 25, 2020 — Two-hour limits on visits, 6-foot social distancing and 30-minute limits on public computers are just some of the changes visitors will see when they finally get to walk into the Springfield-Greene County Libraries at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 26.
There are new hours through Aug. 31: 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday; closed Sundays. The exceptions: Park Central and Fair Grove branches will offer walk-up service for holds pick up and returns for the time being. (Public spaces there are needed to quarantine returns.) Book return bins will be open 24 hours daily.
Drive-through window service reopened on May 7. Beginning Tuesday, May 26, hours there will be 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m. through Aug. 31.
The 10 branches closed on March 17 in response to the coronavirus pandemic, so in recent weeks staff members have installed safety measures such as Plexiglas barriers at public service desks, rearranged furniture and trained on safety guidelines to get the buildings ready for visitors.
Bringing a child back to the Library? You can help them prepare for the changes we've made due to the coronavirus -- no toys, librarians wearing masks. Share this video the staff made to help children feel more comfortable with the changes. It's on the Library's YouTube page, SpringfieldGreene.
Staff will be on hand to help library visitors adhere to social distancing and these measures as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Each branch will count incoming visitors & enforce the occupancy rule and a 2-hour visit rule.
- A 6-foot social distancing rule will be enforced.
- Masks are not required but recommended.
- 30-minute limit on public computers.
- Only one person, or multiple family members, may use study tables.
- All study rooms, conference and meeting rooms are closed for the time being, and no public meetings may be scheduled.
- All in-person programs are canceled through Aug. 31, replaced by virtual programs.
- All returned items must be placed in outdoor book drops to be quarantined for 24 hours and cleaned. No returns will be accepted at the drive-up windows or checkout desks.
- Mobile Library service will resume, but deliveries will be run with the Library van.
On Monday, May 18, the Library Express West, the 24-hour library kiosk at 3872 W. Chestnut Expressway, reopened.
Other library reopening guidelines are posted at thelibrary.org.