Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Published January 27, 2017
The Community Partnership of the Ozarks coordinates with several organizations to provide the VITA program. Community volunteers and MSU and Drury students prepare free, current year basic federal and state tax returns with electronic filing for qualified individuals. They will provide assistance with other states' tax returns if the federal return is also being prepared. Assistance is generally for taxpayers of low-to-moderate income ($54,000 or less).
Documents to bring:
- Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
- Social Security numbers (or Form 1099-SSA) for the individual, spouse, and all dependents
- Birth dates for taxpayer, spouse, and dependents
- Documentation for all income, usually a Form W-2 or 1099, and child and dependent care expenses
- Bank account and routing numbers (if using direct deposit)
- Affordable Care Act information (Form 1095-A, 1095-B, or 1095-C).
- Copy of last year's federal and state tax returns and real estate tax receipt
- To file a joint tax return electronically, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
Note: A new federal tax law enacted by Congress will delay refunds for some taxpayers. To comply with the law, IRS will hold refunds on returns with Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Additional Child Tax Credit until after February 15, 2017
VITA clinics will operate February 1-April 14 and most require appointments. Call 417-720-2000 after January 23, 2017, for further information and to make an appointment. Expect delays due to call volume, do not call the sites directly.
Springfield-Greene County Library
Library staff cannot give advice or help prepare taxes.
|Midtown-Carnegie Branch Library, 397 E. Central St., by appointment; free parking available.
|Feb. 1-April 8. Call 417-720-2000 for an appointment.|
|Drury University 900 N. Benton Ave., Breech School of Business Administration at the corner of Central Street and Drury Lane, walk-in only; free parking available.
|Mondays, Feb. 5-Feb. 20 4-8 p.m.|
|Fridays, Feb. 10-Feb. 17 4-9 p.m.|
|Saturdays, Feb. 4-Feb. 18 10 a.m.-4 p.m.|
|Holy Trinity Catholic Church Parish Hall, 2818 E. Bennett St., Springfield, by appointment only; free parking available.|
|Feb. 2-April 6. Call 417-720-2000 for an appointment.|
|Legal Services of Southern Missouri, 809 N. Campbell Ave., Springfield, by appointment only; free parking available.
|Feb. 7-April 11. Call 417-720-2000 for an appointment.|
|Battlefield City Hall, 5434 S. Tower Drive, Battlefield, by appointment only; free parking available.
|Feb. 7-April 13. Call 417-720-2000 for an appointment.|
Return to the Free Tax Help page.
Find this article at