Quick Start Guide: OverDrive READ
Published July 23, 2013 Submitted by: Tysha
Applies to: Any device with a modern web browser.
If you’d like to view or listen to e-books or audiobooks using an e-reader or tablet choose another Quick Start Guide listed here.
WHAT IS OVERDRIVE READ?
OverDrive Read is a way of reading e-books in your web browser. There is no need to
download software or transfer files across devices – just open up the web browser on your smartphone, tablet or computer and start reading.
CHECKING OUT AN E-BOOK
- Go to overdrive.thelibrary.org in your web browser.
- To see our collection of e-books, click the "Sign In" link at the top right-hand corner of the screen. Type in your library card number without any spaces and click "Sign In."
- Click on a book cover to select a book.
- Check to see if the book is available in “OverDrive READ” format by seeing if this format is listed under “Available Formats” for your selected book.
- Click the “Borrow” button.
- You are automatically taken to your ‘Bookshelf.’ Your Bookshelf is where all of your checked out library items are stored.
- Click “Read in Your Browser” (next to the item’s book cover).
- To go through the tutorial hit “Next.” To close the tutorial hit “Close.”
- Open the book options if they aren’t already open.
Android: Tap in the center of the page. Then tap “Menu.”
- Navigate to the “Download” button to make the item available offline.
- If you don’t see the “Download” button, tap on the cloud icon. Then tap “Download.”
- Bookmark the site so you can get to it easily. On a tablet, you also have the option to “Add it to the Home Screen” to make it easily accessible.
- When you are done with the book, open the book options. Click on the “x” next to “Downloaded” to remove the file from your device.
RETURN AN E-BOOK
To return an item, login into your OverDrive account and click ‘Account’ then ‘Bookshelf.’ Under each item you have checked out is the option to return it. Click ‘Return Title’ to return the item.
HOW CAN I READ MY E-BOOK?
Your eBooks are stored in the cloud, which means you can read across a number of different devices and your e-books will sync so that you don’t lose your place. Modern web browsers will save the books in the browser cache, so you can read even when you're not connected to the Internet.
WHICH DEVICES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH OVERDRIVE READ?
Any device with a modern web browser. The latest versions of all major web browsers support the full range of features required for full use of OverDrive Read, including offline support.
Some devices (such as Sony eReaders and Kindle Keyboards) are not ideal as their browsers are too basic. The best way to test if your device is compatible is to try it out with a free sample book. Check compatibility here.
Supported Browsers Versions
Chrome 7 or higher
Internet Explorer 8 or higher (see note about Google Chrome below)
Safari 5.0 or higher
Firefox 4 or higher
Opera 11.5 or higher
CAN I READ E-BOOKS ON MY iPAD - OR OTHER iOS DEVICES?
Absolutely. Just open up your OverDrive Read e-book in the Safari web browser. For easy access to your e-book either bookmark it or ‘Add to Home Screen’ – the latter will make your eebook into a pretty webapp. Bookmarking or adding your eebook to the home screen will also save it for offline reading.
CAN I READ E-BOOKS ON MY KINDLE, NOOK OR SONY E-READER?
OverDrive Read works with any device that has a modern web browser.
The NOOK and original Kindle Fire use custom browsers. Because of this, OverDrive READ may not function properly.
Some devices (such as Sony e-readers and Kindle Keyboards) are not ideal as their browsers are very basic, while some e-readers don’t have browsers at all.
CAN I READ MY EBOOK IN ANOTHER WAY?
You can return to your library Bookshelf in your OverDrive account and choose to read your e-book in a different format. A list of available formats for each e-book can be found next to every borrowed title on your Bookshelf by clicking on ‘Download’ next to the title.
Find this article at