History and Directory of Springfield and North Springfield
Containing A Historical Sketch Of The Early Settlement, Growth And Business Importance Of These Cities; The Residence And Occupation Of All Heads Of Families And Persons Over Eighteen Years Of Age; The Population At The Time Of Publication, And Other Valuable Information.
Compiled and Published by
George S. Escott
History of Springfield
- Chapter I
- Incidents in the early history of Southwest Missouri -- Osage and Delaware Indians -- Early settlements on the "Jeems".
- Chapter II
- Other settlements in Southwest Missouri before the organization of Greene county -- Kickapoo and other small Indian tribes.
- Chapter III
- Organization of Greene county and selection of county seat -- Military organizations, and expeditions against the Osages.
- Chapter IV
- Biographical sketches of some of Springfield's pioneers.
- Chapter V
- Twenty-five years of prosperity -- The storm of war; the return of peace.
- Chapter VI
- Springfield as it now is -- Its surroundings, and a glance at some of its institutions and leading business men.
- History of North Springfield
- Completion of the A&P R. R. To this point -- Founding of "new town" -- Some of its pioneers and present businessmen, etc.
- Including Springfield and North Springfield, with explanation of plan of numbering.
Keyword Search | Greene County History Home
Local History Home