Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records
of Many of the Representative Citizens
by M. C. Smith
HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY AND ITS CO-ORDINATE BRANCHES IN GREENE COUNTY, MISSOURI
Freemasonry has been for centuries an important factor in the moral development of humanity.
DeWitt Clinton says: "Of all the institutions which have been established for the purpose of improving the condition of mankind, Freemasonry stands pre-eminent in usefulness as it is in age." In every country where the order flourishes will be found the enjoyment of the greatest liberty of its citizens; therefore the rise and progress of the order is of interest to all people and for that purpose this short history of the Order in Greene county, Missouri, is written. In the preparation of this article every available means has been employed to obtain the most reliable information so as to give a clear and truthful chronicle of the establishment of this venerable order in this section of Missouri, and I am greatly indebted to Mr. Martin J. Hubble, my esteemed friend, for the valued assistance he has most cheerfully rendered me.
In the month of June, On Wednesday, the 23rd, in the year 1841, in the small and new village of Springfield, there assembled the following gentlemen: Joel H. Haden, James R. Danforth, Constantine Perkins, Chesley Cannefax, Thomas Shannon, Thomas B. Neaves, Leonard B. Mitchell and John W. Danforth, Master Masons holding membership with lodges in several states, and after discussing the question of organizing a lodge of Free masons in the frontier town of Springfield, Joel H. Haden was chosen chairman and John W. Danforth, secretary, whereupon it was resolved "that we, a few Masonic brethren assembled together, do sign a petition here presented to us soliciting the Grand Lodge of the State of Missouri to grant us a dispensation to confer the degrees of Masonry and transact all other business that may be transacted in a regularly constituted lodge of Master Masons." 
This request was granted July 21, 1841, by the grand lodge and the organization was effected under the name of Ozark Lodge, A. F. and A. M., No. 50, with the following officers: Joel H. Haden. worshipful master; James R. Danforth, senior warden; Constantine Perkins, junior warden; and John W. Danforth, secretary. On August 18, 1841, the lodge was set to work by the grand lodge and, according to the by-laws adopted by the pioneer brothers, regular meetings were held on the fourth Thursday of each month at early candle light, and among the duties of the stewards was to provide sufficient candles and wood, and to keep the lodge room clean and well lighted. Ozark lodge has the honor of being the first organized body of Freemasons in the southwest portion of Missouri.
The first persons initiated in the order were John P. Campbell (the founder of Springfield), R. A. Hubbard and Peter G. Stewart, which event occurred on October 28, 1841, the work being done by John W. S. Moore, of Hopkinsville Lodge No. 37, Hopkinsville, Kentucky, who was a visiting brother. These were quickly followed by a number of gentlemen, who afterwards became prominent in business, professional and political life, among whom was John S. Phelps, who afterwards became one of the leading governors of Missouri. This lodge grew rapidly in membership and prominence and held its meetings in various places until March, 1842, a contract was made with the county officials to rent the second story of the court house, for which they agreed to plaster the rooms and to pay annual rental of fifty dollars.
July the 4th, 1845, was set apart for memorial service in honor of President Andrew Jackson, who was a member of the craft and who died a few months prior thereto. On that day a procession of the Masonic fraternity was formed on the public square in Springfield, marched around the square, thence to a grove adjoining town, where addresses were made by Leonard H. Sims and John S. Phelps, after which procession was reformed and returned to the lodge room on the public square.
Owing to some irregtilarities in the conduct of the lodge the charter was arrested by the grand lodge of Missouri on October 18, 1847, but the true and faithful craftsmen, not discouraged but imbued with zeal and fidelity to the order, immediately took steps to reorganize, which was done under the name of Greene Lodge No. 107, and a charter was granted by the grand lodge on May 12, 1848, which increased in membership to such an extent that four years thereafter, on May 6, 1852, the grand lodge issued a charter to a number of Masons organizing Taylor Lodge No. 5, the first officers being James J. Clarkson, worshipful master; William B. Farmer, senior warden, and William R. Wilson, junior warden. Both lodges did excellent work until the tide of immigration to this section abated, and the members of Greene and Taylor lodges became convinced that in unity there is strength, concluded that it would be to the interest of the craft to unite in one body, and a proposition to that effect was presented by Taylor lodge, which was accepted by Greene lodge on March 3, 1857. Thereupon these lodges merged under the name of United Lodge No. 5, which lodge received its charter from the grand lodge of Missouri on May 30, 1857, and is now the oldest existing lodge in Greene county. United lodge was set to work by D. D. G. M. Marcus Boyd, and its first officers were Charles Carlton, worshipful master; Joseph Gott, senior warden; Wilson Hackney, junior warden; and J. W. D. L. F. Mack, secretary, United lodge assuming all the debts of Greene and Taylor lodges. 
United lodge followed the precedent of prior lodges in Greene county, immediately took active steps and contributed funds for the erection of schools and homes for Masonic children.
In July, 1860, a proposition was made by the County Court of Greene county to rent to the United lodge the third floor of the new court house for a term of ninety-nine years, for the sum of three thousand dollars, to be paid at the convenience of the lodge. The dark clouds of civil war appearing on the horizon, action on the proposition was deferred, though on July 23, 1863, a contract was made to rent the third floor of the court house for an annual rental of fifty dollars.
MASONRY DURING THE CIVIL WAR.
Upon opening of hostilities between the Union men and the sons of the South, much excitement prevailed, so much so that prominent Masons and Marcus Boyd, past grand master of Missouri, made urgent appeals to the brethren "that no political considerations at a time like the present of high party excitement be permitted to interfere with the social and fraternal regard which should always characterize the conduct of Masons,", But the intense excitement then prevailing throughout the whole of the United States caused by the war between the states and the separation of its members, some to don the gray and some the blue uniformly United lodge was forced to close its doors October 16, 1861, and remained closed until September 29, 1862 at which date it was recorded a few members met to silently and sorrowfully adjourn until called together to attend funerals, which was done at various times. A communication was called December 11, 1862, to confer a degree upon one Sam Woods, which was done in the house of the worshipful master, J. W. D. L. F. Mack. Our venerable friend, Martin J. Hubble was there present and acting senior warden.
This lodge frequently held public installations in the Presbyterian and other churches of Springfield, and always addresses were made by some prominent men of letters.
Four days after the untimely death of Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, United lodge was called in memorial services to honor the memory of the departed President. The fragment of the membership an a number of Federal soldiers, members of the fraternity, met in the court house, corner of College and Public Square, under Martin J. Hubble, then worshipful master, "a procession was formed and marched up South street to the second alley, thence one-quarter of a mile east, thence north to Rolla street (St. Louis street), thence west to the public square," where addresses were made by Gen. B. Sanborn, of the Federal army, and others upon the death of Abraham Lincoln. 
After the termination of those terrible years of war between the states, when sectional rancor and hatred reached the fullest limit in this section, as elsewhere in the United States, Masonry brought its gentle influence to bear in many ways in healing the wounds engendered by this strife and smoothing the way to unity and fraternity. United lodge did her part so well that the men who joined the ranks of the South, on their return home, were fraternally greeted, encouraged and aided, which resulted in the rapid growth of its membership and prominence.
Immigration began again to flow westward, and this county being favorably located, many eastern people sought an abiding place here. The county rapidly increased in population and Freemasonry likewise grew.
By applications and initiations, in time United lodge becoming too large, the brethren believing it to be to the welfare of the craft that another Masonic lodge should be organized in Springfield; hence, upon their recommendation, the grand lodge issued a charter to Solomon Lodge No. 271, bearing the date of October 15, 1868, which was set to work and instructed by Martin Hubble, then district deputy grand master. So well were they instructed that every officer was fully qualified to perform all the work in the several degrees prior to the permanent organization of this lodge, the first officers of this lodge being John G. Fulbright, worshipful master; Dr. J. E. Tefft, senior warden; W. F. Dunn, junior warden, and T. D. Hudson, secretary. From its inception, Solomon lodge prospered and demonstrated the wisdom of the fraternity in creating another body in Springfield.
With the continued growth of Springfield, it became necessary that a Masonic lodge should be located on the north side of the city; therefore, a number of the brethren from United and Solomon lodges were granted a charter on October 16, 1872, organizing the Gate of the Temple Lodge No. 422. Thomas M. Flanner was elected worshipful master; Benjamin F. Lawson, senior warden., and E. A. Finney, junior warden. This lodge is one of the most efficient Masonic bodies in the state.
The first Masonic body in Greene county, outside of Springfield, was Rising Star Lodge No. 145, located at Ebenezer, receiving its charter May 8, 1858, but that section of the county being sparsely settled the lodge failed to meet the expectations of the brethren and finally ceased to exist, in 1898.
In the month of October, 1872, a number of brethren organized a lodge at Cave Spring, known as St. Nicholas No. 435, but owing to some conditions surrounding Ebenezer, the charter was surrendered in 1897, the members uniting with other bodies near them.
The Masonic lodges now existing outside of the city of Springfield are: O. Sullivan No. 7, at Walnut Grove; Ash Grove No. 100, Ash Grove; Ozark No. 297, Fair Grove; Bois D'Arc No. 449, Bois D'Arc; Republic No. 570, Republic; Strafford No. 609, Strafford; and Willard, No. 620, Willard, all of which have been organized in recent days and are steadily increasing in members and influence.
The fraternity in Greene county have one thousand, four hundred and eight members of which one thousand and fifty-four are connected with the lodges in Springfield.
From the old records one finds that the Masonic lodges in Greene county in early days served not only as a social and fraternity center, but also in the capacity of settling disputes and difficulties between the members, thereby avoiding resort to courts of law; and unlike litigants at this age, in civil courts, the contending parties abided the decisions rendered by the lodges, without appeals therefrom.
Capitular Masonry is represented by three chapters:
Springfield Royal Arch Chapter was organized on the second day of October, 1850, with thirteen members, receiving a charter from the grand chapter of Missouri, February 13, 1851, with John Dade, high priest; J. W. Chenoweth, king; R. B. Johnson, scribe, and G. W. Jeffries, secretary, and like unto the earlier Masonic lodges in the county, it suffered many reverses, and upon the opening of the Civil war ceased to hold regular communication until after the close of hostilities, when, on May 21, 1866, the companions again assembled and resuscitated the dead body, giving it a new life, from which time the chapter has grown abundantly and is now recognized as one of the leading chapters of the state and from whose membership several of the grand officers of the state have been chosen.
Vincil Royal Arch Chapter No. 110 was organized May 10, 1888, and from its inception has held its communications on Commercial street in Springfield, Missouri, the first officers of this chapter being Benjamin F. Lawson, high priest; Thomas Flanner, king; _____ _____scribe. This chapter has rapidly pushed its way to the front, both in numbers and the ability of its membership, which is now two hundred and thirty-six. The two chapters located in Springfield have five hundred and forty-four members.
Ash Grove Royal Arch Chapter No. 124 is located at Ash Grove, being the only chapter outside of the city of Springfield. A charter was granted to the companions of this chapter on the 25th day of April, 1905, by the Grand Chapter of Missouri, William P. Maples serving as high priest and George W. Musgraves, secretary. Though the youngest chapter in the county, its membership has reached one hundred and three. 
In the city of Springfield is located the only body of Knights Templar in the county. A dispensation was granted by the Grand Commandery of Missouri on April the first, 1872, for the purpose of organizing this body. Fred King was elected eminent commander; Washington Galland, generalissimo; Charles H. Evans, captain general. Together, with others, they instituted St. John's Commandery No. 20, on the 14th day of May, 1872. At the annual assembly of the Grand Commandery of the State on October 24, 1872, a charter was granted this commandery. The present membership is now three hundred and nineteen, and two of its members, W. A. Hall and Bert S. Lee, have served as grand commanders of the state body of Missouri.
There is only one council of Cryptic Masonry in the county; this is located in Springfield, known as Zabud Council of Royal and Select Masons No. 25, receiving a charter from Grand Council of Missouri bearing the date of April 25, 1894, its first officers being H. L. Bosworth, thrice illustrious master, and Vincent Marzette, recorder. This council began with but a few members and after several years of doubtful existence the body was revived and has now become the third council in point of membership in the state, having a membership of five hundred and fifteen, and bears the honor of furnishing two grand masters of the Grand Council of Missouri, Companions Bert S. Lee and J. L. Heckenlively.
THE ORDER OF THE EASTERN STAR.
The American Adoptive Rite of Free Masonry, the Order of the Eastern Star, was first planted in this county, when a charter was granted by the Grand Chapter Order of the Eastern Star of Missouri, on December 28, 1891, to a number of Freemasons and their female relatives to organize a chapter in the city of Springfield tinder the name of Queen City Chapter No. 221, the first officers of which were Mrs. Genevieve Wyatt, worthy matron, and who afterwards became grand matron of the Grand Chapter of the State of Missouri in 1895; Benjamin Grist, worthy patron, and Mollie Washburn, associate matron. This order having such commendable purposes quickly received the support of all Masons, and the membership grew so rapidly that it was deemed advisable to establish another chapter in the city, which was accordingly done, on the 30th day of August, 1894, when a chapter was instituted on the south side of the city bearing the title of Crescent Chapter No. 21, the first officers under the charter being Mrs. Eleanor Sutter, worthy matron; Job Newton, worthy patron, and who in 1906 was elected grand patron of the Grand Chapter of Missouri. These chapters have steadily grown and now number four hundred and thirty-five members. 
Outside the city of Springfield there are three chapters: Russell Chapter No. 109, located at Ash Grove, which succeeded Ash Grove Chapter No. 168. Russell Chapter was organized in 1910 and now has one hundred and thirteen members. Republic chapter, at Republic, was instituted in 1914, with a large number of charter members, and is an active, progressive body. Willard Chapter, at Willard, was organized and a charter granted in September, 1914. Starting with a membership of thirty-six, it bids fair to meet every expectation of its founders. Republic and Willard chapters were instituted and set to work by Job Newton, past grand patron of Missouri, and whatever he does is always well done. This order has no more enthusiastic and untiring laborers than he.
PLEIADES SHRINE NO. 1.
The order of the White Shrine of Jerusalem is the youngest addition to the Masonic family in this county. It was organized in Springfield on April 4, 1914, a charter being granted this body by the Supreme Shrine in June, 1914, under the name of Pleiades Shrine No. 1, it being the first organization of its kind in the state of Missouri, the first officers selected being Mary C. Kastler, worthy high priestess; W. A. Murata, worthy sojourner; Mettie Evans, noble prophetess; Eleanor M. Smith, worthy scribe. Beginning with ninety-two charter members, within a period of seven months its membership had grown to one hundred and thirty-one, no other organization having advanced so rapidly as this. The membership of this order is limited to affiliated members of the Order of the Eastern Star.
The Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, established a Temple in the city of Springfield, July 9, 1903, by the title of Abou, Ben Adhem Temple, naming as its first officers, R. P. Halderman, illustrious potentate; John L. Schneider, chief rabban; W. A. Hall, assistant rabban, R. E. Lee, prophet, and J. G. Newbill, recorder. Starting with a membership of fifty, the roll has increased until now more than one thousand five hundred have traveled over the heated desert to the oasis. The membership of this order is limited to Knights Templar and Scottish Rite degrees. This is the only Temple of the Mystic Shrine in southwest Missouri. 
The Masonic fraternity throughout the county own many of their lodge rooms and are well equipped with all the necessary implements and regalia. In the city of Springfield the fraternity in 1906, erected an imposing temple of brick, four stories high, located on East Walnut street. The building contains three large rooms for lodges, with ample closets for paraphernalia, cloak rooms, library and reception parlors and one of the best arranged banquet rooms in the city. The Shrine room is one of artistic beauty, containing a balcony and stage. The building is valued at one hundred thousand dollars, and was erected by voluntary contributions by several Masonic bodies and individual members of the order. In this temple the following bodies hold their sessions: United Lodge No. 5, Solomon Lodge No. 271, Royal Arch Chapter No. 15, St. John's Commandery, Zabud Council, Abou Ben Adhem Shrine, Crescent Chapter No. 21, and the White Shrine of Jerusalem.
INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS.
By C. G. Young
Odd Fellowship has been known in Springfield over sixty years, the beginning of its history here being coincident with interesting events of antebellum days and the Civil war period. The benevolent mission of the order was entered upon at a time when the country was torn with the dissensions which led up to the great conflict, a condition calling for the exercise of friendship, charity and love in a manner most extraordinary. Harmony lodge was instituted February 10, 1854, and fraternal relations were maintained throughout the years of the struggle which imposed trying conditions upon various organizations in different parts of the country, even causing division in some of the churches. Nowhere was factional contention more bitter than in this borderland of the sections in which conflicting opinions brought on fierce warfare among neighbors. How much may have been done by the members of the order in those days to allay the strife, maintain amicable feeling and minister to the needs of those in distress can only be imagined. Unfortunately the names of the seventeen charter members were lost by the burning of the records in a fire which in 1861 destroyed the old court house that stood in the center of the public square where the lodge rooms had been first established. That the three links held some if not all the originators of the lodge loyal to the order is attested by the fact that reorganization followed immediately upon the cessation of hostilities in 1865. 
A new charter was issued in 1865 and a charter was also granted another lodge, the America, the two being merged in New Harmony lodge No. 71. With the completion of the new court house at the northwest corner of College street and the square headquarters were established in the third story of the building by the Odd Fellows and Masons who contributed to the cost of completing the structure. Venerable members tell of the doings there by the light of tallow dips in which numerous well-known citizens were initiated into the mysteries of the order, the work of which continued to grow in favor as the spirit of fraternalism spread and its influence was felt on every hand. Harmony lodge became known abroad and stood high in the councils of the order. In the course of municipal progress two other lodges were formed and three associate Rebekah lodges. Meantime the continued increase in the membership of New Harmony has kept it in the front rank of leading organizations and it now heads all the lodges in the state with a membership of four hundred and twenty. In 1869 headquarters were removed from the court house to a hall at the southwest corner of South street and the square and afterward to more suitable quarters in the Odd Fellows building on South street. Following the formation of new organizations, lodge rooms were established in different parts of the city, the headquarters of New Harmony having for some time been located at the corner of College and Campbell streets and being removed thence to the southeast corner of Boonville and Olive streets, where a permanent home has been secured by the purchase of a property embracing a substantial brick building in which commodious lodge rooms may be established.
Three of the members of New Harmony lodge are among the oldest living Odd Fellows in this section. They are E. Speaker, Cy H. Patterson, Ed. R. Shipley, their membership dating from 1868. Present officers: W. C. Justice, noble grand; A. W. Bass, vice-grand; Charles Connett, recording secretary; W. T. Shores, treasurer, J. T. Law, financial secretary; A. B. Lovan, trustee of building fund;E. Speaker, Thomas, Holdredge and George Player, lodge trustees.
Springfield Lodge No. 218 was instituted December 25, 1861 by R. W. West, District Deputy Grand Master, with ten charter members: Jesse D. Six, Charles E. Pemberton, J. S. Tilton, Julius Cohn, S. W. Lloyd, John M. Gear, L. Taylor, James M. Ford, H. A. Lockhart, C. G. Huntington. The first officers were: Jesse D. Six, noble grand; Charles E. Pemberton, vice-grand; J. S. Tilton, recording secretary; Julius Cohn, treasurer; S. W. Lloyd, right supporter to noble grand; John M. Gear, left supporter to noble grand; L. Taylor, inside guard. Present officers: A. V. Stark, noble grand; C. H. Pering, vice-grand; W. J. Major, recording secretary; J. H. Hasten, treasurer; Ed F. Yentsch, conductor; W. H. Smith, warden; A. L. Fulbright, inside guard; J. G. McClure, outside guard; I. G. Holt, right supporter to noble grand; W. G. Wresche, left supporter to noble grand; C. R. Phifer, right supporter to vice-grand; M. W. Wilson, left supporter to vice-grand; J. A. Trantham, right scene supporter; J. F. Stever, left scene supporter; H. N. Epps, chaplain. The lodge is well established in its own building at No. 221 East Commercial street. Its property is valued at $15,000 free from encumbrance. Improvements costing $2,300 have been made within the past six months. They have nearly $3,000 in their treasury available for sick benefits and other lodge purposes. 
Trinity Lodge No. 495 was instituted June 25, 1894, by A. B. Lovan, district deputy grand master, with a membership of thirty, of whom the following are living: H. S. Jewell, John T. Darr, W. A. Grimes, T. P. Hoffman, Matthew Hall, O. D. Nelson and John Sjoberg. The following were the first officers: J. B. Jewell, noble grand; W. W. Cowan, vice-grand; G. E. Preston, recording secretary; Samuel Vinton, Jr., treasurer and financial secretary. The initial meeting was held in the lodge room of Springfield No. 218, on Commercial street. Trinity lodge occupied quarters in the Haldeman building on St. Louis street July 27, 1894. Their present lodge room is located at 400 ½ South street.
The past grand masters are: J. P. Hoffman, A. Clas, O. D. Nelson, Dr. J. R. Boyd, Matthew Hall, W. A. Grimes, H. C. Roberts, John Sjoberg, G. C. Shackelford, Thornton Aton, John Hall, Leo L. Lemon, J. Ed Black, T. J. Burris, W. A. Waldon, J. W. Myers, C. E. Ferguson, S. G. Reeves, J. P. Kirche, J. A. Cox, Fred Kern, J. P. Brooks, A. S. Henderson, S. B. Hannah, A. S. Murray, A. L. Myers, Fred Wilcox, J. W. Cribbett and Ben H. Davis.
The present officers are: J. R. Mason, noble grand; J. W. Scott, vice-grand; Leo L. Lemon, recording secretary; Fred Wilcox, treasurer; Matthew Hall, financial secretary; Thomas Aton, conductor; Roy A. Gruber, warden; A. S. Henderson, inside guardian; J. H. Baker, outside guardian; J. W. Myers, right supporter to noble grand; John Hall, left supporter to noble grand; Fred Wilcox, right supporter to vice-grand; G. C. Shackelford, left supporter to vice-grand; J. L. McCarty, right scene supporter; J. S. Duff, left scene supporter; H. C. Roberts, chaplain. The present membership numbers 152.
MODERN WOODMEN OF AMERICA.
The original and offshoot organizations of Woodmen are well represented in Springfield with three camps each of the Modern Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of the World, the former being Springfield, Excelsior and Boulevard camps and the latter Springfield, Ozark and Black Jack. 
Springfield Camp No. 3123 Modern Woodmen of America was organized August 7, 1895, with a charter membership of 57. The first officers were: J. W. Morgan, consul; W. A, Cox, advisor, J. F. Boas, banker; W. W. Cowan, clerk; Matthew Hall, escort; C. G. Levan, watchman; A. F. Drusa, sentry. Trustees: F. M. Mcavid, W. A. Banks and R. G. Porter. Doctor. J. R. Boyd of this camp has been state head physician for twelve years. Past Consuls: Dr. J. R. Boyd, W. F. Morgan, H. B. Brubaker, C. G. Levan, J. N. Fowler, J. W. Scott, C. E. Ray, J. H. Hall, E. F. Hannah and J. L. Berry. Present officers: S. F. Hannah, consul; W. R. Ruxton, advisor; D. M. Lewis, banker; S. D. Harmon, clerk (twelfth term); Francis Peppers, escort; George Johansenn, watchman; J. R. Winegardner, sentry; O. F. Whitman, C. N. Reddick and H. J. Ramsey, trustees; E. J. Straley, chief forrester; W. M. Ramsey, musician. F. B. Braum, 314 W. Division, is district deputy. The present membership is nine hundred and fifty-seven. This is one of the strongest camps in the state. Headquarters in hall at the corner of College and Campbell streets.
Excelsior Camp 4975 Modern Woodmen of America was organized August 17, 1897, with seventeen charter members. They were: T. W. Armstrong, W. C. Baldwin, Ethan A. Bishop, S. G. Bradley, W. F. Cummings, James A. Donnell, Nelson Ingram, Charles H. Martin, Val. W. A. Mason, William G McCann, W. A. McReynolds, James C. Patrum, N. B. Pennebaker, W. D. Simon, John E. Spicer, D. G. Stewart, Tom Watkins. The present officers are: A. C. Boren, consul; H. J. Huper, advisor; E. R. Parker, banker; W.. C. Russell, clerk; W. A. Forshee, escort E. F. Nichols, sentry; W. G. Wresch, watchman; E. W. Bedell, B. F. Edmonds and S. B. Griffin, managers. The present membership is seven hundred and sixty-six. Meetings are held in K. of P. hall on Commercial street.
Boulevard Camp 7649 Modern Woodmen of America was organized March 11, 1909, with twenty charter members. The first officers were: W. A. Grimm, consul; S. E. Kynion, advisor; E. F. Kohler, banker, Charles E. Boren, clerk; C. J. Stough, escort; W. T. Linet, watchman; A. M. Tedrick, sentry; Dr. J. L. Ormsbee, physician; Louis Burwell, H. B. Gillett and C. E. Bussard, managers. Past consuls: W. A. Grimm, E. M. Robertson, J. Z. Roper, W. G. Pike. Present officers: J. R. Shockley, consul; R. R. Wommack, advisor; Ed Stiver, banker; Charles E. Boren, clerk; George Hedgepeth, escort; J. H. Gilmore, watchman; A. Grishaber, sentry; Harry Robertson, musician; Drs. A. D. Knabb and Joseph James, physicians. The present membership numbers one hundred and forty-three. Meetings are held Tuesdays at Kohler's Hall, corner of Commercial street and Springfield avenue. 
WOODMEN OF THE WORLD.
Springfield Camp No. 23 Woodmen of the World was organized July 7, 1891, with a membership of twenty-seven. It was a popular organization from the start and has enjoyed great prosperity. J. A. Frink was first consul and H. M. Heckart clerk. Two of the charter members, N. W. Fellows and J. K. P. Wright are drawing the benefits which accrue to those who have reached the age of seventy years in the order. The present officers are: L. Baum, past consul commander; F. L. Spicer, consul commander; M. Calvey, advisor; D. M. Lewis, banker; J. E. Smith, clerk; E. Peeler, escort; F. B. Neaves, sentry; W. F. Riddle, watchman. Managers: Ellis Paxon, J. D. Haldeman, R. J. Loveliss. Physicians: E. L. Evans, W. L. Pursselley, J. K. P. Wright, R. L. Pipkin, J. H. Harrell and W. B. Wasson. The present membership is now three hundred and seven. Meetings are held at the Knights of Pythias Hall on College street.
Ozark Camp No. 25 Woodmen of the World was organized July 23, 1891, in Sprinkle Hall on Commercial street by D. S. Maltby of Omaha, Nebraska, and James Knox of Quincy, Illinois, with twenty-eight charter members. The following were the first officers: Paul Roulet, consul; A. R. McDonald, advisor; G. W. Erskine, banker; V. W. Campbell, clerk; Albert Cox, escort; J. W. Smith, watchman; Albert Herrick, sentry; Dr. J. W. Wier, physician; C. N. Chappell, W. L. Ward and C. J. McMaster, managers. Past Consuls: Paul Roulet T. K. Bowman, A. R. McDonald James M. Bell, A. W. Herrick, E. Press Norris, C. W. Carter, P. R. Kelly, J. H. Hacker, H. Z. Morris.
Present officers: H. Z. Morris, consul; Jack W. Pooler, advisor; J. E. Williams, banker; J. F. Shea, clerk E. F. Carter, escort; Hugh F. Keller, watchman; George M. Scott, sentry; H. C. Patterson, M. C. Costello and Nelson Fisher, managers. Physicians: Drs. E. Knabb.. Arthur Knabb, Albert F. Willier, E. F. James, Lee Cox, C. A. Tucker and J. R. Bartlett. Headquarters were in the Sprinkle building some time and were afterward established at Burwell Hall, 225 ½ East Commercial street where meetings are held Tuesday nights. The present membership is six hundred and thirteen.
Jack Oak Camp No. 201, Woodmen of the World, was originally organized under the name of Post Oak in 1893. The first hall was destroyed, in which a portion of the records of the camp were lost. A new hall was built at the corner of Sycamore and Prospect avenues, where meetings are now held.
George Skidmore was the first consul. Other past consuls are: A. L. Murray, P. Parmenter, W. P. Keltner, B. Clark, C. C. Chavose and J. H. Faiman. 
The present officers are: C. C. Chavose, consul; J. C. Delo, advisor; E. E. Emerton, banker; J. F. Fairman, clerk, fifth term; J. C. Denehey, ,escort; George Youngblood, watchman; A. B. Mills, sentry; P. G. Rich, captain of degree team; W. A. Coy, J. P. Ralston, W. A. Beattie, physicians; J. T. Cunningham, H. Breese and G. W. Wright, managers.
The present membership is two hundred and sixty-eight, embracing members in fifteen different states.
Three camps of Royal Neighbors assist in the work of theModern Woodmen of America in this city, being known as Springfield, Queen City and Wild Cherry. There are three circles attached to the lodges of the Woodmen of the World.
BENEVOLENT AND PROTECTIVE ORDER OF ELKS.
The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks is represented in Springfield by a flourishing lodge, the popularity of which is attested by its growth in the seventeen years of its existence from a small beginning to a most prominent place among the civic organizations of the municipality.
That the Elks lodge holds a unique place among organizations of a city has been demonstrated in the history of Florence Lodge No. 409, instituted in Springfield, March 5, 1898. Sedalia Lodge No. 127, of Sedalia, Missouri, officiated on that occasion and thirty-five kindred souls imbued with the spirit of the order constituted the nucleus around which there has been built up a lodge now numbering five hundred and sixteen members, demonstrating in its activities and the lives of the members those principles of the order which have done so much to ennoble and beautify life wherever they have been practiced.
The first officers of the lodge were: Exalted ruler, James A. Frink; esteemed leading knight, Charles Schneider; esteemed loyal knight, A. H. Wear; esteemed lecturing knight, Frank Parker; secretary, W. H. Jezzard; treasurer, Louis Nathan; tiler, C. H. Patterson; trustees, B. W. Redfearn, Seth Barham and Moses Levy.
The past exalted rulers of the lodge are: J. A. Frink, 1898-1899; A. H. Wear, 1899-1900; A. J. Eisenmayer, 1900-1901; B. E. Meyer, 1901-1904; W. H. Jezzard, 1904-1905; George A. McCollum, 1905-1906; O. C. Crothers, 1906-1907; W. A. Rathbun, 1907-1908; A. D. Allen, 1908-1909; W. D. Murray, 1909-1910; E. A. Barbour, 1910-1911; James A. Ellis, 1911-1912; George W. Culler, 1912-1913; F. A. Gallagher, 1913-1914; Arthur F. Smith, 1914-1915.
The present officers are: Exalted ruler, Arthur F. Smith; esteemed leading knight, Perry T. Allen; esteemed loyal knight, John M. Wilkerson; esteemed lecturing knight, E. F. Hannah; secretary, G. W. Hackney; treasurer, W. W. Coffman; tiler, L. E. Donovan; trustees, J. W. Tippin, G. W. Ferguson and G. F. Berry. 
F. A. Gallagher is a member of the board of trustees of the State Association.
Florence lodge first found a home in modest quarters in the old Pickwick Hall, at No. 220 Boonville street, where it remained during ten years of steady growth, during which plans were continuously made for an establishment which should suitably serve the purposes of the organization. When the time came, in 1908, for carrying into effect these well-considered and carefully-arranged plans, the move was made in a manner attended with the most gratifying results. The new location at the southeast corner of the Public Square, is ideal, sufficiently removed from the noise and distractions of a more public place and at the same time easy of access and convenient in every way. Here, fronting on Elks Arcade, there has been erected a model club house, meeting all the requirements of an up-to-date institution of this character.
Florence lodge, as is the custom with the Elks lodges, has taken a leading part in the social affairs of the city and has been well represented on important occasions, diffusing the spirit of good, fellowship in many public functions and did itself proud in the entertainment of the state convention, which was held in Springfield in 1912. Otherwise, the lodge has lived up to the traditions of the order and exemplified its work in a manner which has won it a high place among the lodges of the state and in the community in which it is located.
IMPROVED ORDER OF RED MEN.
An interesting form of fraternal organization was introduced in Springfield July 19, 1899, when Kiowa Tribe No. 38, Improved Order of Red Men was instituted by the Great Chiefs of the Reservation of Missouri. The charter roll embraced the names of a hundred enthusiastic pale faces who were so imbued with the romantic traditions of the American Indians, the exposition of which constitutes a portion of the work of the order that they soon became sufficiently versed in its lore to furnish the picturesque entertainments which it features for the amusement and instruction of the populace who might otherwise live and die in ignorance of the ways of the original inhabitants of the country. 
The order soon became so popular in different parts of the city that another Tribe, Iroquois No. 41, was instituted here, January 16, 1900, by the Chiefs of Kiowa Tribe, the new organization having a charter membership of ninety-eight. With rapid increase in the membership of both lodges they were soon able to present an imposing appearance in parade and in various gatherings. Upon one occasion they produced the inspiring spectacle "Custer's Last Fight," the historic affair on the Little Big Horn, one of the most thrilling in the history of border warfare, immortalized by Frederic Remington in a famous painting. The first officers of Kiowa tribe were: Joseph E. Peitz, prophet; Thomas Armstrong, sachem; Mr. Lyle, senior sagamore; A. L. Arnold, junior sagamore; A. C. Jarrett, chief of records; E. N. Ferguson, keeper of wampum. This tribe has the distinction of having twice furnished the presiding officer of the state organization, J. E. Peitz, past great sachem, and C. E. McCartney, present great sachem.
The Past Sachems of the tribe are J. E. Peitz, A. L. Arnold, Charles McKenna, C. E. McCartney, J. J. Nestor, C. L. Sweet, Ed. Dingeldein, Charles Gehrs, John Hall, J. W. Dingeldein, E. N. Ferguson, J. C. Gage, J. J. Kassler, W. E. Burns, E. M. West, W. H. Kirby, J. B. Murphy, J. E. Smith, J. B. Robertson, George Martin, Karl H. Rechenberg, M. L. Horton, W. F. Staine and E. M. Withoit. The tribe has seven members of the Great Council, C. E. McCartney, great sachem: J. E. Peitz., chairman of the Orphans' Board; W. H. Kirby on the Appeals Committee, and E. M. West, J. J. Kassler, M. L. Horton and K. H. Rechenberg.
The present officers of the tribe are: William Staine, prophet; O. C. Moffitt. sachem: F. J. Schaffitzle, senior sagamore; Otto Schaffitzle, junior sagamore: Karl H. Rechenberg, chief of records; Fred Dingeldein, keeper of wampum. The present membership is two hundred and seventy-five. Meetings are held Wednesday nights at the Improved Order of Odd Fellows' hall on the corner of College and Campbell streets.
The first officers of Iroquois Tribe were: L. Pipkin, prophet; Ed V. Williams. Sachem; R. B. Chalmers, senior sagamore; Joe Rice, junior sagamore; L. N. Cogley, chief of records; R. B. Garlick, keeper of wampum. Past Great Sachem, C. Green, is a member of this tribe. Past Sachems: Ed V. William, J. J. Reilly, J. B. Chaney, E. S. Wilkins, J. H. Hurley, H. Powell, A. A. Minor, Charles Green, L. N. Cogley, J. D. Petit, H. Hulse, R. Solomon, F. M. Donnell, M. Nibler, C. Standley, Tom Watkins, J. E. Mitchell, L. L. Caffey, J. L. McGinnis, C. E. Ellsworth, R. E. Bagent, C. E. Dewhirst, R. E. Bagent, W. H. Raabe, M. J. Golden, H. T. Prescott, A. M. Franklin, W. A. Dysart , F. C. Ball, L. E. Barrett.
Meetings are held Friday nights at Improved Order of Odd Fellows' hall on Commercial street. Plans are being considered for the construction of a commodious wigwam in the near future in which the tribe is to be provided with all the accommodations of a permanent home. The present membership is three hundred. Present officers: L. E. Barrett, prophet; E. E. Emmerton, sachem; L. J. Kent, senior sagamore; C. L. Harmon, junior sagarmore; R. E. Bagent, chief of records; F. M. Donnell, keeper of wampum. 
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS.
The Knights of Columbus is an organization of Catholics and is founded upon Unity and Charity. Unity in banding together Catholics for mutual comfort and aid in time of sickness and at death. Charity, in causing a keener interest in each others welfare, and by force of precept, example or other proper means enable each to share in the world's prosperity and to become of the best and noblest in morals and citizenship, by administration of Christian consolation to those bereft in time of sickness and death: By lawful contributions to the order for the benefit of the beneficiaries of deceased members, thereby in life assuring each of fraternal brotherhood and in death appeasing the pangs of poverty and despair, consequent upon its visitation.
The order was organized February 8, 1882 and incorporated by charter granted by the General Assembly of the state of Connecticut, approved March 29, 1882, under the name of the Knights of Columbus of New Haven, amended by the January session of the General Assembly 1889 to the Knights of Columbus with power to establish subordinate councils or other branches in any town, city or state, in the United States. By act approved June 27, 1907, authority was granted to establish branches in foreign countries. Primarily it was an insurance order, later was added the associate membership who participates in all matters except those effecting the insurance features, which matters are governed entirely by the insurance class.
For several years the organization was confined to the state of Connecticut whence it extended to Massachusetts and New York. When it started west it acquired a great impetus and now it has branches in every state in the Union, every province of Canada, in Mexico, Panama, Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippine Islands and from one council with a membership of less than twenty in 1882, it has grown to over eighteen hundred councils with a membership of three hundred and fifty thousand, about one-third of which are insurance members.
The Springfield Council No. 698, Knights of Columbus, was instituted by charter dated November 29, 1903, with a membership of sixty, with officers as follows: Henry Hornsby, grand knight; L. S. Meyer, deputy grand knight; Thomas R. Stokes, financial secretary E. E. Heer, recorder; A. F. Fine. chancellor; August Lohmeyer, advocate; J. J. O'Conner. warden; James M. Quinn, treasurer; I. F. Hennessy, lecturer; Patrick Fogarty, inside guard; W. E. Foley, H. Scholten and Joseph Wills, trustees. Present membership of Springfield Council No. 698 Knights of Columbus is three hundred and fifty with officers as follows: John C. Conley, grand knight; F. A. Smith, deputy grand knight; Thomas N. Welsh, chancellor; Thomas Fogarty, financial secretary; Martin Schappler, recorder; Joseph Dieterman, treasurer; Very Rev. J. J. Lilly, chaplain; W. E. Foley, lecturer; Charles Daily, advocate; Patrick Kane, warden; Charles E. Newton, inside guard; Henry Nerud, outside guard; Dr. A. F. Willier, medical examiner; Dr. J. M. Potts, Patrick Fahy and Robert Dewhurst, trustees. Will F. Plummer is state deputy grand knight in districts Springfield, Monett, Webb City and Joplin. 
BROTHERHOOD OF AMERICAN YEOMEN.
The Brotherhood of American Yeomen is represented in Springfield by three prosperous organizations, Springfield, Ozark and Royal Homesteads. Springfield Homestead No. 182 was organized August 15, 1898, with a charter membership of fifteen. Ernest Miller was foreman; Jesse Stark, master of ceremonies; O. E. Saylor, correspondent. The past foremen are: Ernest Miller, Jesse Clark, A. M.. Capps, M. A. Stone and N. Benson. The present officers are: R. R. Wammock, foreman; Miss Ida Smith, master of ceremonies; W. C. Russell, master of accounts; S. B. Griffin, correspondent; Mrs. W. N. Kell, chaplain; Mrs. Bertha Ware, Lady Rowena; Mrs. R. H. Stone, Lady Rebecca; Dr. Charles H. McHaffie, overseer and physician; W. N., Kell, district manager. Meetings are held Monday nights at Burwell hall. The present membership is one hundred and seventy-one. The assistant deputies in this district are N. Benson and W. F. Thompson.
Ozark Homestead No. 4065 was organized by district manager, W. R. Denton, November 7, 1912, with twenty charter members. The first officers were: E. C. Miller, foreman; Ralph Green, master of ceremonies; V. O. Pranter, correspondent; C. A. Tupper, master of accounts; Mrs. Addie Waddell, chaplain; John T. Winn, Jr., overseer; Mrs. Bertha Northern, Lady Rowena; Mrs. Ella Speer, Lady Rebecca; H. L. Keller, watchman; H. W. Watkins, sentinel; L. K. Demour, guard; Dr. H. T. Evans, physician; Eva Northern, musician. The present officers are: J. V. Boase, foreman; E. P. Booker, master of ceremonies; V. O. Pranter, correspondent, L. K. Demour, master of accounts; Mrs. Bertha Adkins, chaplain; Miss Geneva Worrell, overseer; Mrs. Kitty Gates, Lady Rowena; Mrs. Ella Speer, Lady Rebecca; H. C. Moon, watchman; Mrs. Katie Drussa, sentinel; O. E. Saylor, guard; Dr. H. T. Evans, physician; Miss Mary Adkins, musician. The present membership is seventy-five. Meetings are held at their hall over Bank of Commerce.
Royal Homestead No. 4429 was organized November 3, 1913, with forty charter members by Mrs. Ella Speer, district manager. The first officers were: Clem P. Horat, foreman; John D. Millstead, master of ceremonies; Mrs. Maud F. Slipher, correspondent; Edward Hicks, master of accounts; Mrs. Mary Grimm, chaplain; Miss Viola Johnson, overseer; Mrs. Rosa Gilmore, Lady, Rowena; Mrs. Julia Millstead, Lady Rebecca; J. W. Johnston, watchman; Joseph Britton, sentinel; William Baker, guard; Dr. S. F. Freeman, physician; Mrs. Freda Horat, musician.
The present officers are: Clem P. Horat, foreman; James A. Allen, master of ceremonies; Mrs. Maud Slipher, correspondent; Mrs. Mary Grimm, chaplain; Miss Viola Johnson, overseer; Mrs. Grace Crone, Lady Rowena; Mrs. Gertrude Johnson, Lady Rebecca; James A. Salley, watchman; Oscar Peck, sentinel; J. W. Johnson, guard; Dr. S. F. Freeman, physician; Mrs. Freda Horat, musician. Meetings are held at Kohler's hall, 1954 National boulevard. The present membership is fifty-seven.
Two new homesteads have been organized in the county outside of Springfield by Mrs. Ella Speer, district manager, during the past year. Strafford Homestead No. 4714 was organized July 30, 1914, with twenty-four charter members. The following are the officers: Robert M. Galloway, foreman; Oscar R. Farrell, master of ceremonies; Dave C. Yarbrough, correspondent; Jesse J. Foster, master of accounts; Mrs. Montie Delzell, chaplain; O. E. Bryant, overseer; Mrs. Florence Foster, Lady Rowena; Mrs. Emma Gray, Lady Rebecca; B. J. Trogdon, watchman; M. D. Burton, sentinel; Mrs. Lula J. Wammock, guard; Dr. L. D. Shroat, physician.
Willard Homestead No. 4809 was organized August 28, 1914, with twenty charter members. The following are the officers: James W. Calvin, foreman; George W. Walker, master of ceremonies; Mrs. Margaret R. Farmer, correspondent; Claude Farmer, master of accounts; Mrs. Winfred Farmer, chaplain; Edgar E. Atchley, overseer; Miss Dora Jones, Lady Rowena; Mrs. Edith Kime, Lady Rebecca; T. D. Jones, watchman; M. B. Collup, sentinel; L. B. Howard, guard; Mrs. Luvena Garman, musician.
COURT OF HONOR.
Springfield District Court of Honor No. 834 was organized December 30, 1894 with forty charter members. The first officers were: George D. Ragsdale, chancellor; Mrs. Lula E. Walker, vice-chancellor; George W. Goad, recorder; J. W. Crank, treasurer; Rev. A. Langley, chaplain; H. P. Mayer, conductor; Mrs. Kate E. Fyffe, guard; J. P. Allen, sentinel; Frank Hepler, Marcus Peak and Miss Mima O. Fyffe, directors.
Past chancellors: E. R. Walker, George D. Ragsdale, E. G. Wadlow, C. B. Rose, W. J. Major, E. R. Parker, Wm. R. Harmon, S. B. Griffin and Mattie Goff.
Present officers: E. R. Parker, chancellor: Mary E. Reddick, vice-chancellor; S. B. Griffin, recorder; Mary E. Salsman, chaplain; Newton O. Conn, conductor; Lillian C. Bedell, guard; Norris Hedgepeth, sentinel; B. F. Edmonds, Charles E. Reddick and E. R. Russell, directors. 
The court now has a membership of eight hundred. Meetings are held in the Knights of Pythias hall over the Citizens Bank on Commercial street on the first and third Wednesday nights of each month. The office of S. B. Griffin, recorder, is at No. 202 West Commercial street in the rear of the People's Bank.
LOYAL ORDER OF MOOSE.
One of the beneficent organizations chartered here in recent years is Springfield Lodge No. 354, instituted September 6, 1910 by Harry, B. Gage, deputy supreme organizer, with a membership of eighty. The first officers were: Walter Hawkins, dictator; A. H. Osborn, vice-dictator; H. T. Lincoln, secretary; Doctor Standard, prelate; E. G. Wadlow, treasurer.
Past dictators: W. J. Majors, Walter Hawkins, A. H. Osborn, Frank Rodgers, W. L. Smith, J. L. Smith.
The present officers are: J. W. Speer, dictator; H. K. Lincoln, vice-dictator, Joe Butler, secretary; J. A. Dacy, prelate; J. W. Flamnerfelt, treasurer. The present membership is four hundred. The dues of the order not used in paying sick and funeral benefits, expenses of furnishing physicians to members and their families, etc., go to the equipment and maintenance of the great institution which has been established at Moose Heart, near Aurora, Illinois, where the orphans of deceased members are to be cared for and given vocational training under the direction of experts. Three thousand acres of land have been secured giving ample room for demonstration work in different departments of agriculture. The schools are under the direction of a former superintendent of education in Chicago, while instruction in art of printing is carried on under the supervision of a member of the Typographical Union sent from national headquarters. Meetings are held Mondays by Springfield lodge at their home in the southwest cornier of the public square.
FRATERNAL ORDER OF EAGLES.
Ozark Aerie No. 294, Fraternal Order of Eagles, was chartered December 10, 1902 1902, with sixty-six members. The organization has since that time grown steadily in popularity and become thoroughly established.
Present officers: M. A. Stone, president; L. C. King, vice-president; F. H. Doyle chaplain; N. C. Moore, secretary; W. F. Stahl, treasurer; E. B. Hurd, inside guard; A. Johnson, outside guard; Dr. A. F. Willier, physician. Trustees: H. P. Shelton, J. L. Braig and Ira Pattison.
The present membership is three hundred. Meetings are held at No. 1620 North Jefferson avenue in a substantial two story brick building, the property of the organization. 
KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS.
One of the youngest strictly fraternal organizations that has done much for Springfield and Greene county, and which today numbers among its membership nearly one thousand Springfield citizens is the order of Knights of Pythias. The first lodge of this order was instituted in Springfield in 1873, John Cowell being the only surviving charter member here, and since that time has enjoyed a steady growth, there being today in the city three large and prosperous lodges, namely, Springfield No. 85, Orient No. 86 and Atlas No. 213.
The first lodge organized, however, was of short life, and it finally surrendered its charter, only to be taken up again soon with a more progressive membership. Star Lodge No. 20, was the first subordinate lodge, and among the older citizens will be found those who composed its membership. The Uniform Rank, or military department, rather, as played a prominent part in the Pythian circles of Greene county's history and at one time this branch of the order numbered some two hundred and twenty-five members. Today there is but one company of the rank and it is regarded by those in charge of uniform rank affairs to be the best company in the state of Missouri.
Of great importance to the fraternal world and more so especially among the Pythians, is the Pythian Home of Missouri, located in this city. The magnificent structure while only a year old, represents an expenditure of nearly one hundred fifty thousand dollars, and is regarded by those who are in a position to judge such affairs as being a model in every sense of the word. A prominent Pythian official upon a recent visit stated that "it represents about 'the last word' in building construction for the purpose for which it was built." The home is strictly fire-proof, and was built by the order within the state of Missouri for the care of the aged members, their widows and orphans. The building is stone and concrete construction, has its own power plant, and is located within the city limits at the corner of Fremont and Pythian Home avenue; it is equipped with all the facilities that Springfield affords for its operation; it has a modern and scientifically built eight-room school house immediately across the street where the children enjoy, upon the same footing, as other children the educational advantages offered by the city. It commands a magnificent position in the center of a beautiful fifty-three-acre, tract of ground, and is regarded as the fraternal Mecca of the Southwest. The Home is maintained by a small tax upon the members of the order within the state, and is controlled by a board of managers, composed of J. H. Hawthorne, Kansas City, president; Bert E. Woolsey, Springfield, secretary; S. H. Woodson, Independence; W. D. Settle, Fayette; W. H. Welpott, St. Louis. In personal charge of the Home is the superintendent and matron, W. J. Marr and wife. The building is so arranged that additional room may be added without disturbing the general scheme upon which it was built, by the addition at either side of dormitories, and these will be built as occasion demands. Already plans and specifications are in the hands of the board of managers for the first of these dormitories, and it is regarded as likely that the buildings will be authorized as fast as the order requires its completion. 
There is also within the boundaries of Greene county another lodge of the order, located at Ash Grove. While only a little over a year old at the time this volume was printed, yet it has a very strong and influential membership, and is looked upon by the citizens of Ash Grove as a shining light among its numerous fraternal organizations. 
Springfield-Greene County Library