Pictorial and Genealogical Record
of Greene County, Missouri

Together with Bibliographies of Prominent Men of Other Portions of the State, Both Living and Dead

DR. EDWARD L. BEAL, Republic, Mo., is one of the most prominent of the younger physicians of Greene County who stands deservedly high in the medical profession. He springs from an old American Colonial family. His great-grandfather was a native of North Carolina. His grandfather, Daniel N. Beal, was born May 19,1799, in North Carolina. He was a cabinet maker by trade and when a young man went to Giles County, Tenn., where he married Nancy, daughter of George Gibson, and they were the parents of seven children: George T., Allen H., James N., Martha A., Damaris, Mary J. and Penelope. Mr. Beal remained in Giles County, Tenn., until three children were born and, in 1831, moved to Crawford County, Mo., and settled near where Verona now stands. Judge James White came the same time, and here Mr. Beal made a clearing and began his home. He was in company with Judge White in the ownership of land and as they thought the tract of land not large enough for both, Mr. Beal sold out and came to what is now known as Greene County, the latter part of 1833 and settled in Campbell Township four miles west of Springfield on Wilson Creek. Here he cleared up a farm and passed the remainder of his days, owning 288 acres. In politics he was a Democrat, and both himself and wife were members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Beal lived to the age of about forty-seven years and died December 7, 1847. He was one of the old pioneers of southwest Missouri and highly respected by the older settlers, by whom he was well known as a man of integrity of character and honest worth. Capt. George T. Beal, the son of above and father of the subject of this sketch, was born November. 10, 1832, on his father's farm near Verona, Mo., and was an infant when brought by his parents to Greene County. He attended the old pioneer log schoolhouse three months each year until he was twenty years of age. He was reared a farmer and at the age of twenty-one, 1854, he was one of the gold seekers, crossing the plains to California in company with three of his neighbors, Samuel G. Bragg, John H. West and George Likins, the journey being made with an immense ox-wagon drawn by four yoke of cattle. They also had along two riding horses. The trip across was pleasant and occupied four months. Mr. Beal engaged in gold mining at Shasta City on the Sacramento River for two years and then returned via the Isthmus of Panama and New York City. The next year he again crossed the plains driving a herd of cattle and milch cows, remaining nine months, and returning home via Panama and New Orleans. In l860 he married Ann Eliza, daughter of Junins and Martha J.Roundtree. (See sketch of JudgeRoundtree.) After marriage Mr. Beal settled on his present farm which was bought the year previously. This farm then consisted of 120 acres but by thrift and industry he now has 200 acres in a good state of cultivation. To Captain and Mrs. Beal have been born five children, all now living. Edward L., Marshall F., Joseph S., Carrie M. and Nettie R. In the spring of 1861, when the Civil War broke out, Capt. Beal enlisted in the Home Guards and he was one of the guides for Gen. Lyon, from Springfield, to Wilson Creek battle-ground the night before the attack. The army left Springfield in the evening, the sun being about one hour high and Mr. Beal rode with Gen. Lyon and staff in the advance, the General frequently asking questions about the road. The route taken was the Mt. Vernon road until five miles from Springfield and then across the prairie in the direction of the Rebel encampment. About two o'clock in the morning a halt was called at a point one mile east of Brookline, where Milford Norman now resides; the army resting quietly on their arms until day- light, which at that time, August 10, was about 5 o'clock. Mr. Beal was sent back to the Mt. Vernon road with dispatches to Maj. Wright, who was in command of several companies of cavalry and was encamped as a picket outpost, to instruct him to close up immediately and be ready to go into battle at daybreak. By the time the command was in marching condition it was daylight and they rode rapidly to the battlefield, the fighting having begun when they reached the ground. Mr. Beal reached the battlefield at six o'clock A. M. a, little behind the cavalry. The Rebels had been taken entirely by surprise and their first alarm was the shooting at two Rebels who were out after roasting ears and gave the alarm. The firing began on both sides when the armies were fully one mile apart but little of the battle could be seen owing to the broken condition of the country. The Federal retreat began about 10:30 A. M. and Capt. -Beal and another guide rode back to Springfield, the country being entirely deserted and they met no one on the way. Mr. Beal returned to his farm, bringing his wife back from her mother's, where she had been for safety. He remained on the farm until November, when Fremont's army occupied Springfield, and went on to Raleigh. Mr. Beal went to Illinois, taking his wife and remained there until March, and returning home made a crop. On August 9, 1862, he was elected captain of a company of Missouri State Militia which he had assisted in enlisting in his township and served as captain until he resigned two years later. He commanded his company at the battle of Springfield when Marmaduke attacked the city. Fifteen of his company were wounded and two killed. Capt. Beal was struck by a spent ball but not seriously injured. This was all done from one fire of the Rebels, Capt. Beal's company being situated where Col. Moore's residence now stands; here the hardest fighting occurred. After the war Capt. Beal settled on his farm where he afterward remained; he is one of the substantial citizens of Greene County and is entirely a self-made main. He is a friend of education and has served his district for several years as school director, and has given all his children liberal educations. His son, Dr. Edward L. Beal, is a prominent physician at Republic. His son, Marshall, was also a liberally educated man. In political opinions the Colonel is a stanch Democrat, although he has neither sought nor accepted office. Both Mr. and Mrs. Beal are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the Colonel having been deacon for twenty years. Dr. E. L. Beal, his son, was born January 16, 1864; big education was obtained at Ozark College and at Morrisville; he then attended the Missouri Medical College, at St. Louis, 1886-7, and afterward Jefferson College, 1887-8. He immediately began the practice of his chosen profession in the office of Dr. Tefft, a prominent physician of Springfield and continued with the doctor one year. In 1889 he came to Republic where, by big skill as a physician and his gentlemanly course, he soon established a lucrative practice. Socially he is a member of Relief Lodge, No. 341, Republic. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. In politics he is a stanch Democrat. He married, March 30, 1889, Mary E. Lambrs. While Dr. Beal is one of the younger physicians of Greene County, there is no man who stands higher in his profession. He has won the confidence not only of the people but all members of the medical profession. The Doctor is a leading member of the prominent Missouri medical societies.


A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | V | W | Y

Pictorial and Genealogical Home | Keyword Search

Greene County History Home | Local History Home

 Springfield-Greene County Library