A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Moniteau County, Missouri

Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser

Moniteau County



Bacon was located in the northeast section of the county, 3 1/2 miles northeast of Kliever and was near the Cole County line. (--The State of Mo., in 1904, Walter Williams, p. 451.)

The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme of Mo., 1905, Taft, for the use of Railway Mail Clerks, p. 70.)


The cyclone of April 18, 1880, which destroyed Marshfield, created havoc through that portion of Moniteau County and adjoining Morgan County. Striking at Barnettsville, it passed a little south of High Point, and thence toward the north Moreau. Every house in Barnettsville was demolished, and along its track many were killed and thirty persons were seriously wounded. At High Point a relief committee was organized. In Linn Township, and also north of Clarksburg, much damage was done ... (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., 1889, Goodspeed, p. 314.)


In May, 1845, A. T. Byler and wife donated to the county fifty acres of land for county court purposes, lying near the old town of California. An order was made on September 4, 1845, that this land be surveyed, and John Defoe ... was instructed to lay off the town of Boonesborough on the town tract, a public square, to contain one acre ... The plat of the old town of Boonesborough is recorded on page 37 of the county record for 1845. Boonesborough was the name by which the new town was known until the latter part of 1846, when the post-office was removed from the old town of California, to the new town, which ceased to be known as Boonesborough and became California. (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 369; Encyclopedia of the Hist. of Mo., 1901, Conard, Vol. 4, p. 456; Vol. 1 p. 328.)


Brant was east of California on the Mo. Pac. R. R. (--Map of Mo., 1911, Rand, McNally.)


Cedron was located in the northwest corner of the county, 4 1/2 miles east of Pisgah (Cooper Co.) (--The State of Mo., in 1904, p. 451.)

The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme, p. 70.)



California is situated in Twp. 45 N, Range 15 West on Sec. 21, 22, 27 & 28, on the divide between the waters of the Moreau and Moniteau, in latitude 38 degrees 36 minutes west of Washington, D. C. ...

Walter Garner was the first blacksmith of Old California, establishing his shop in 1834-35 ... The first saloon there, and the first house except Garner's shanty and shop, was built by Samuel Hand and J. Anderson. At the rising of the logs Mrs. Garner's brother, California Wilson, offered to treat two gallons of whiskey if the boys would name the town after him. They agreed, and all proclaimed the place California.

In 1844 Hands cornfield extended from the present (1889) court house to the depot. In 1846, the sheriff was ordered to sell the old building on the public square of Boonsborough (q.v.) ... The first post-office was established at Old California about 1841, with D. E. G. Rollins, master, who moved the office to Boonesborough in 1846 ... (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., pp. 366, 367, 368.)

However, according to How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named, 4th Article, p. 331, David W. Eaton, California was named for the State of California which was coming into prominence, and the over-land railroad was being agitated.

The first manufacturing industry was Thomas Smith's mill on Section 1, Township 46 N, Range 15 West, where his distillery was located. (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 376.)

California was laid off in 1845 and at first called Boonsborough. It was incorporated Nov. 14, 1857. (--Ibid, p. 367.)

Clarksburg elevation 905 feet

Sebastian Sappington came from Kentucky in 1839, and located near this place ... In 1840 Hiram Clark came from Logan County, Ky., and built a house on Section 15 Township 45 N, Range 16 West, around which he had his town surveyed in 1858-59. In March, 1859, a post-office was established, with Mr. Clark in charge, and on September 1, that year, W. J. Stephens opened his first store ... Clarksburg was incorporated in 1882. (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., pp. 383, 384.)

The railroad name of the town is Moniteau. (--Encyclopedia of the Hist. of Mo., 1901, Conard, Vol. 2. p. 17.)

Clarksburgh (Moniteau Station)

Clarksburgh, Moniteau Station, on the Missouri Pacific R. R. 6 miles west of California, had 1 machine shop, 1 Union church, 1 furniture and agricultural implement factory. Population about 200 (1874). (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Mo., 1874, p. 376.) Named in honor of Hiram Clark, a Kentuckian, who settled upon the site and was the first postmaster. (--Eaton, 4th Article, p. 331.)

It is situated at Sec. 15, Twp. 46 N, Range 16 West on Highway M north of 50. (--Gen. Highway Map of Moniteau Co., issued by the State Highway Dept. of Mo.; unless otherwise noted all map locations are from this map. 6-1-64.)



Corticelli is in the southeast section of the county, 5 miles west of Russellville (Cole County.) (--The State of Mo, in 1904, p. 451.)

Mail via Russellville. (--Standard Ref. Guide of Mo., 1974, Rand, McNally, referred to as Rand, McNally, 1974.)


In the early 1880's when the Missouri Pacific line was being constructed from Jefferson City to Bagnell through Miller County, it was the practice to establish a station every five miles. This custom probably underlies the story, interesting but unverified, of the naming of Enon. When the surveyors of the Jefferson City to Bagnell line had run their five miles beyond Russellville, Mo., they asked what station had been established. "None," was the reply. Some wag in Jefferson City is reputed to have reversed the letters to provide the name "Enon" for this station. (--The Empire That Missouri Pacific Serves, p. 208.)

Enon is situated in the southeast corner of the county on Cole County line, 5 miles from Russellville (Cole Co.) (--The State of Mo., in 1904, p. 451.)

The name is a Biblical name. (--Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, pp. 100, 101.)

It is situated at Sec. 20, 29, Twp. 43 N, Range 14 West on Highway Z on Cole County line.

With Tatesville ... gone, the citizens of Enon worked to increase and expand the small town's size and business interests. Local farmers banded together in a co-operative effort to open a lumber yard and produce market ... Two garages and a bank opened in 1917 ...

In 1940, a local mining company D. F. & H., opened a new lead and tiff mine about three miles southeast of Enon ... In a short period of time the mine was in full operation and had hired local residents for work in the large open pit ...

At the end of eighteen months the mine had reached a depth of approximately 80 feet ... During the peak production period the mine was closed for some unknown reason. The pump (which had been installed to remove the water in the pit) was shut down and the mine shaft was allowed to fill up ...

Today the town of Enon sits quietly at the end of a small black top road. The railroad that moved tons of ore, bushels of grain and many heads of cattle is gone. The tracks were taken up in 1962, two years after the depot had been torn down. All that remains of Enon are a few modest, well-kept homes, a general store, a Baptist Church and an empty feed store. A few miles south of Enon, the pit of the D. F. & H. mine is filled with deep blue water. (--The Ozarks Mountaineer, September 1977, C. p. 22, by permission.)



Felix was on the Morgan County line, about one-fourth of the distance between Cooper and Morgan Counties. (--Map of Mo., 1844, Sidney K. Morse and Samuel Breese.)


Fortuna is located in the southwest corner of the county, 6 1/2 miles south of Tipton. (--The State of Mo., in 1904, p. 451.)

It was named by its owner for the Latin goddess of Fortune. (--Eaton, 4th Article, p. 331.)

It is situated at Sec. 16, 21, Twp. 44 N, Range 17 West at the junction of Highways F & 5.


See McGirks. (--Gazetteer of Mo., p. 377.)

High Point

High Point, on Sec. 17, Twp. 43 N, Range 15 West may be said to date its beginning from 1831, when H. H. Simpson entered his lands in the neighborhood. The elevation is the highest in the county, hence its name. In 1843 H. W. Kelly built the first trading-house, and at the same time the Sterling lead diggings were discovered and worked. (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 391.)

It is on Highway C west of the junction with 87.

In May, 1880, the Sterling lead diggings were converted into a fish pond and stocked with carp, perch, cat and other species. (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 313.)

In 1843, lead was found nearby and H. W. Kelly built a store, and soon a good sized settlement was formed, and a flax mill and two churches were built ... The town contained 150 population, and had a few general stores and small shops. It is the most elevated point in Moniteau County. (--Encyclopedia of the Hist. of Mo., 1901, Conard, Vol. 3, p. 242.)


Hirdler was located in the southern part of the county, 3 1/2 miles north of High Point. (--The State of Mo., in 1904, p. 451.)

The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme, p. 70.)



Jamestown, eleven miles northeast of California, dates its beginning back to 1837 ... In 1846 S. L. & E. H. James, after whom the town was named, erected a mercantile house there, and in 1873 the hamlet of 1846 claimed a population of over 300 and a local government ... Peter Nickles was first postmaster at that time ... Jamestown was surveyed by R. L. C. Miller, April 7, 1874 ... The first post-office of the district was established ... with William Walker master. Subsequently Mrs. Raney had charge at her house, one-fourth mile east and next Dr. White, one and one-half mile east of the present village of Jamestown.

Charles Hatton, who kept a hatter's store ... built the first house outside the present corporation ... The first mill at Jamestown was built by Clark Hall in 1862, who had one circular saw and one set of buhrs for corn ... The first machine shop was established about 1878 by Wegener & Kirchman ... Judge Robert Moore was the first man to introduce sorghum seed from New York City, having paid $1.00 for one tablespoonful ... (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., pp. 389, 390.)

It is situated at Sec. 5, Twp. 46 N, Range 14 West at the junction of Highways 41 & AA. See Gazetteer of Mo., p. 377.


Kliever is in the northern part of the county, six miles northeast of California. (--The State of Mo., in 1904, p. 451.)

It is situated at Sec. 31, Twp. 45 N, Range 14 West on Highway 87.

The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme, p. 70.)

Mail via California. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)


Lancaster was in the west central part of the county. (--Map of Mo., 1844, Sidney K. Morse & Samuel Breese.)

There is a Lancaster in Schuyler County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)

Latham Store (later Latham)

Latham Store was a post-office in 1889. (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 393.)

Latham is a hamlet in Pilot Grove Township, twelve miles southwest of California. It was founded by Dr. H. W. Latham about 1880, though one of the oldest communities in the county. It had a Christian Church, two hotels, a flouring mill, three general stores and a few small shops and other places of business. Population, 1899, (estimated) 250. (--Conard, Vol. 3, p. 594.)

It is situated at Sec. 21, Twp. 44 N, Range 16 West on Highway E, south of Clarksburg.



Lupus is in the northeast corner of the county. (--The State of Mo., in 1904, p. 451.)

Originally called Wolf's Point, but the name being cumbersome, when the railroad was built, the name was changed to the Latin name for the species of the common wolf. (--Eaton, 4th Article, p. 331.)

It is situated at Sec. 9, Twp. 47 N, Range 14 West on Highway P at the edge of the Missouri River.

The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme, p. 70.)

Mail via Jamestown. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)


Magnolia, six miles southwest of California, ceased to be the post-office of the district prior to 1885. For years it was the post-office center of Pilot Grove Township, W. W. Brannon being master in 1875. (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 392.)

Magnolia is no longer listed in Moniteau County. There is a Magnolia in Johnson County, mail via Holden. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)


McGirk is six miles southeast of California, was made a post-office station in 1880. H. Buente, the general merchant at that point was postmaster ... The Leuenberger Cheese Factory, near McGirk, some horses and stock were destroyed by fire in April, 1888. Mr. Leuenberger himself, died of burns received. (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 392.)

It is situated at Sec. 32, Twp. 45 N, Range 14 West on Highway 50 west of Cole County line.


See Clarksburg. (--Conard, Vol. 2, p. 17.)

Mount Vernon

Mount Vernon was laid out in the fall of 1836 or 1837 by H. Ray and John T. Thornton, who were the first general merchants. Sometime after this Ray Bought out Thornton and continued the business several years. Mount Vernon was used as a boat-landing long before this, and had been used at intervals since. In 1837 the town contained seven families, a general store, blacksmith shop, grocery, school and tobacco factory. There is nothing here at present but a boat-landing (1889). (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 393.)

It was named for George Washington's home. (--Ramsay, p. 50.)


Mount Vernon (Cont)

Mount Vernon is no longer listed in Moniteau County. There is a Mount Vernon in Lawrence County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)

Round Hill

Round Hill was an old settlement three miles northeast of Tipton, ca. 1860. (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 378.)

Sandy Hook elevation 580 feet

Sandy Hook was a landing on the Missouri River, 12 miles northeast of California. (--Gazetteer of Mo., p. 377.)

It is in Linn Township. (--New Atlas of Mo., 1874, Map #19.)

Frank Rollins opened the first store at Sandy Hook in 1846 ... This town stood on the banks of the Missouri, in this county, and before the Civil War was in the center of the south half of Section 1, Township 46 N, Range 14 West, but during the 1870's the river washed away the bank, and now (1889) strikes the east line of Section 2, thus bringing the confluence of Factory Creek into the river at that point, when formerly it entered the river in Section 24. Mr. Nickles, of Jamestown, was under the impression that the Missouri will yet take away the island, as it had already removed much of Sections 10, 11, 14 and 15 of Township 47 N, Range 14 West. (--History of Moniteau Co., p. 392.)

It is situated at Sec. 12, Twp. 46 N, Range 14 West on Highway 41.

Mail via Jamestown. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)

Tipton elevation 925 feet

In 1858 William Tipton Seeley had the town surveyed, and in 1860 he moved his store from Round Hill (an old settlement three miles northeast) to the new town. In 1863 the founder died, and five years later fire destroyed two-thirds of the business houses which then fronted on the Public Square. The second fire (1873) destroyed many of the wooden buildings which were erected in 1868 as temporary quarters for the dealers ... The first store was opened by J. F. Taylor and J. H. Lewis, June 1, 1858 ... H. H. Newman opened the first hotel ... The depot was ordered burned by Jo. Shelby, October, 1863. To save the hostages, two of whom were J. F. Taylor and Dr. James, the order was not carried out ...

The first postmaster was Dr. Sherman ... The town of Tipton was incorporated in 1860; but in days of war municipal work was forgotten and not resumed until the election of May 23, 1866, under the special act of the Legislature approved February 19th of that year ... (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., pp. 377, 378, 379.)


Tipton (Cont)

Tipton was the starting place of the Butterfield Stage Line, September 16, 1858. The Pacific Railroad (later Missouri Pacific) had been completed to Tipton, one hundred sixty miles west of St. Louis, in the summer of 1858, and was designated at the First Division of the Butterfield Route ... (--Butterfield Overland Mail, pp. 161, 162.)

Tipton is situated at Sec. 15, Twp. 45 N, Range 17 West on Highway B north of 50.

Union Springs

It was one and one-half miles west of Jamestown ... (--Hist. of Moniteau Co., p. 343.)


If you travel to Enon, in the southeast corner of Moniteau County, you can see the aging remains of the dream that was Tatesville.

N. O. Tate, from St. Louis, was interested in the rich deposits of lead that had been found around the little community of Enon ... He was able to locate an ideal spot on a plat of land on the southern edge of Enon where he opened a large open pit mine. His Central Missouri Mining Company moved machinery into the area.

With the influx of new people came the need for more housing, as well as increased business and recreational facilities. In answer to this, Tate had surveyed a plat of land for a new residential area that sided with Enon on the south and ran almost to the North Moreau River. His plat was filed in California, Mo., at the county seat on Oct. 1, 1907. There were over 150 lots intersected with several wide streets and boulevards, as well as a public square. At the peak of the mine production, the towns of Enon and Tatesville could boast of having a population of over 750, a hotel, bank and general store.

Also a mercantile store, brick kiln and several other businesses. Mr. Tate was watching the boom, and knew his mine was the reason. More workers flooded into the area. Many were forced to bivouac on the banks of the Moreau River.

Then the Tatesville boom turned to bust. Central Missouri Mining suddenly ran into trouble with St. Louis financiers ... Without the much needed capital, the small, promising mining company was forced to cease operation. Without the economic base that the small communities had counted on, the two towns found their populations declining at a rapid rate. Within two to three years, the once booming Tatesville had completely disappeared ... (--The Ozarks Mountaineer, Sept. 1977, C, p. 22, by permission.)


Renfro was situated in the extreme northwestern corner of the county, 4 1/2 miles east of Gooch (Cooper Co.) (The State of Mo., in 1904, p. 451.)

Moniteau County Table of Contents
Local History Home

 Springfield-Greene County Library