A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Monroe County, Missouri

Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser

Monroe County



Ash is on the western edge of the county, on R. F. D. from Madison. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, Williams, 453.)

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--General Scheme of Mo., 1905, Taft, 71.)

It was named for W. P. Ash, its first postmaster. (--How Mo. Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named, 4th Article, Eaton, 332.)

Mail is via Madison--rural; no population. (--Standard Ref. Guide of Mo., 1974, Rand McNally.)


Austin was a station on the M. K. & T. R. R., 4 miles northeast of Paris. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Mo., 1874, 380.)

It was situated on Sec. 32, Twp. 55 N. R. 9 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., 1874, Campbell, Map 20.)

Austin is no longer listed in Monroe Co.; there is an Austin in Cass Co., (--Rand McNally, 1974.)


Cecil was located in the southern portion of the county, 9 1/4 miles south of Holliday. (--Williams, 433.)

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 71.)

Clapper Station Indian Creek Township

Clapper Station is located on the M. K. & T. R. R. ... It took its name from Henry Clapper, who was largely instrumental in getting the railroad built through this section, and out of respect and appreciation of his services, the citizens called the station by his name. The population was about 100; there were 2 stores, a blacksmith shop and wagon shop ... (--Monroe Co., 158, 159.)

It was settled in 1870 and had 1 store; population about 30. (--Campbell, 1874; 380.)

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 71.)

It is situated on Sec. 6, Twp. 55 N, R. 8 W on an unmarked county road east of V, west of Indian Creek. (--Gen. Highway Map of Monroe Co., issued by The Missouri State Highway Dept. 6-1-62. Unless otherwise noted all map locations are from this map.)



This town was known as Somerset P. O. It was laid out by George Gleen, Samuel Bryant and S. S. Williams in 1836.

These gentlemen built the first store and first mill that were opened and operated in the town. Jacob Kirkland was the pioneer blacksmith, Greenlee Hays and Major William Howell were once merchants in the town. After the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad was built through that section of the country and the towns of Shelbina and Hunnewell sprang into existence, the business of Clinton was withdrawn from that place and given to the newer towns mentioned above ... There was at one time a flourishing Catholic Church located at Clinton, but this, like the town, is now a thing of the past.

The first church in Washington Township was located at Clinton and was built by the M. E. Church South. (--Monroe Co., 186.)

It was situated on Sec. 33, Twp. 56 N. R. 9 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 20.)

Clinton is the county seat of Henry County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)

Clinton, (formerly Somerset) 12 miles north northeast of Paris, 6 miles west from Clapper, and 5 miles from Lakenan, Shelby County, was settled in 1840 and contained 2 potteries. Population, about 230. (--Campbell, 380.)

Crooked Creek

Crooked Creek was situated on Sec. 15, Twp. 56 N, R. 9 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 20.)

Duncan's Bridge

Duncan's Bridge, or "Leesburg" as it is familiarly called, is situated in the western portion of Monroe County, in Woodlawn Township, 20 miles from Paris, 10 miles from Madison ... In 1976 there was only one business house, and one saw-mill. In 1884 there were three dry goods and grocery stores, one drug store, two saw and grist-mills, one furniture store, two blacksmith shops, one wagon shop, and one carding machine run by steam.

All were in prosperous condition. The prediction was made, "at no distant day, Duncan's Bridge, though a thriving village now (1884) will reach an epoch when it will be known as one of the important towns of Monroe County."

It is situated in the northwest corner of the county on Sec 5, 8, Twp. 55 N, R. 12 W at the junction of J & 151.

Mail is via Clarence; population 40. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)


Elizabethtown Indian Creek Township

Elizabethtown was located on Indian Creek, six miles southwest of Monroe City, and 17 miles northeast of Paris. The population was about 350. There were two dry goods stores, two drug stores, three grocery stores, two blacksmith shops, one good hotel ... The town was laid out in 1835 by a Mr. Swinkey, and for some time bore his name. Mr. Swinkey's wife was named Elizabeth and the town was finally named in honor of her ... (--Monroe Co., 158.)

It formerly was known as Indian Creek. (--Campbell, 380.)

It was located in the northwest corner of the county. (--Williams, 453.)


Elliottsville, on the Paris and Hannibal wagon road, at the crossing of the North Fork of Salt River, 10 miles northeast of Paris, was settled in 1842. Population, about 15. (--Campbell, 380.)

It was situated on Sec. 13, Twp. 55 N, R. 9 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map. 20.)

Evansville (Mill Grove)

Evansville, (Mill Grove) on the M. K. & T. Railroad, 17 miles west of Paris, was settled in 1870. Population, about 30. (--Campbell, 380.)

It is near the Randolph County line, 5 1/2 miles west of Madison. (--Williams, 453.)

It is situated on Sec. 30, Twp. 54 N, R. 12 W on west edge of the county, on TT near Y of Randolph Co.

Mail is via Moberly, Randolph Co. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)

Florida Jefferson Township

Florida is situated upon a high point of land between the Middle and North Forks of Salt River, near their junction, in the eastern part of Monroe County. This seems to have been the site selected by the aborigines and mound builders, as several mounds were found there ...

The two mills, which formed the starting point of the town, were built about the same time, in 1827. The mill upon the South Fork was erected by Peter Stice ...that on the North Fork by Richard Cave ...

The mills change downers several times. The business done by the mills from 1845 to 1860, was perhaps the largest milling business ever done in the county ...


Florida (Cont)

Florida was declared the head of navigation on Salt River, and was thought ... to be a favorable point for the founding of a great commercial town. The town was according laid off by Maj. Wm. Penn, Hugh A. Hickman and others.

The house Mark Twain was born in was standing in 1854 and was used as a printing office ...

The first store in the vicinity was kept by Maj. Penn, for a man named Roundtree, at Stice's Mill, and was in operation there in 1831 ... The first house in Florida was built by Judge Damrell. Dr. Wm Proctor and Dr. Walton were the pioneer physicians. R. H. Buchanan was the first blacksmith. Washington Moberly was the first tailor. Willard Buck, a one-legged man, was the first shoe-maker. The town was incorporated in May, 1883 ... (--152, 153, 154.; see, also, Conard, Vol. 2, 476.)

It was named for the State. (--Eaton, Fourth Article, 332.)

It is situated on Secs. 3, 4, Twp. 54 N, R. 8 W at the junction of 107 & U.

Mail is via Stoutsville; population 50, summertime, 150. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)


Goss is 5 miles northeast of Paris. (--Williams, 453.)

It is the first station northeast of Paris, on M. K. & T. Railroad. (--Map of Mo., 1917, Rand McNally.)

It is situated on Sec. 32, Twp. 55 N, R. 9 W east of 24.

Mail is via Paris; no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)

Granville Clay Township

The first house in Granville was built by John T. Parker, who also opened the first store. Samuel A. Rawlings was also an early merchant. In 1884 the town contained three general stores, two blacksmith shops, a Christian and Methodist Church. (--Monroe Co., 187.)

It had 2 stores, 1 steam flouring-mill, 1 wagon shop, 1 public school, and 2 churches -- Methodist and Christian. Population about 75, (1874.) (--Campbell, 381.)

It is situated on Sec. 12, Twp. 55 N, R. 11 W on J east of A.

Mail is via Paris; population 30. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)



Hawkins was southwest of Northfork and northeast of Granville. (--Map of Mo., 1917, Rand McNally.)

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 71.)

Holliday Marion Township

This village is situated in Marion Township on the M. K. & T. Railroad, eight miles from Paris, five miles from Madison and was first laid out by W. H. Holliday & Bro in 1876 ...

The first house in the town was erected by W. H. Holliday and was used by him and his brother, Thompson Holliday, as a general store. The first dwelling house was also built by W. H. Holliday. Among the early settlers was William Singleton, from Macon County, Mo.; he opened the first hotel in the town. Thomas Mappin built the first saw and grist-mill in the vicinity ... (--Monroe Co., 175, 176.)

Hollyday (sic), on the M. K & T. Railroad, 6 miles west of Paris, had one store. (--Campbell, 381.)

Holliday had a school, two churches, and fourteen business places including stores, shops, etc. Population 1899, (estimated) 250.) (--Conard, Vol. 3, 270.)

It is situated on Sec. 3, Twp. 54 N, R. 9 W on A north of 24.

Indian Creek (Elizabethtown)

This place on the Paris and Hannibal wagon road, 16 miles northeast of Paris and 3 miles east of Clapper, was settled in 1836, and had 1 wagon shop, 2 stores, public school and 1 church, Catholic. Population about 80. (--Campbell, 380.)

It is situated on Sec. 2, 3, Twp. 55 N, R. 8 W on HH south of 24.

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 71.)

Mail is via Monroe City; population 40. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)

There is an Indian Creek in Washington County. (--Ibid.)

Jonesbur Washington Township

Jonesburg, the rival town of Clinton, was divided from the latter merely by an alley. It was laid out by Col. Gabriel Jones in 1836. Greenlee Hays opened the first store. James Coombs, Benedict Gough, Blakey and Lasley were early merchants. The town went down when Clinton died. (--Monroe Co., 186.)



See Duncan's Bridge.

Long Branch

This was a small point containing the post-office and a store kept by Browning Bros. (--Monroe Co., 1874.)

Among those who were patrons of the post-office were Thomas F. Lapp, of Virginia; Chas. F. Browning. (--Ibid: 381, 382.)

It was a post-office 10 miles south southeast of Paris. (--Campbell, p. 381.)

It was situated on Secs. 29, 30, 31, 32, Twp. 53 N, R. 9 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 20.)

Madison elevation 790 feet

The town of Madison was named by James Abernathy, Esq., who came to Missouri, to Monroe County in 1817 ... It was named in honor of James Madison, President of the United States. Mr. Abernathy entered 40 acres of land where the town was located ... The first house in the place was put up by Henry Harrison, who came from Madison County, Kentucky, and used as a tavern in 1837. James Eubanks, from Tennessee, opened the first store in 1838. George Cunningham was the first pioneer blacksmith ...

The town contained a population of 500 to 600, and had a public school, 2 churches, 2 general stores, one harness shop, three drug and grocery stores, 1 grocery and meat market, 1 flouring-mill and a saw-mill, 1 furniture store, and 1 wagon shop ... (--Monroe Co., 173, 174,; Campbell, 380.)

It is situated on Secs. 11, 12, 13 & 14, Twp. 54 N, R. 12 W at the junction of A & 24.

Middle Grove Union Township

The town is situated in the southwest corner of the county and 20 miles from the county seat, and four and a half miles from Evansville, the nearest railroad station ... The town site is a part of the old Ezra Fox settlement, which was made in 1820, and was the first permanent settlement in Monroe County, and the name was derived from its being a midway station between the Father of Waters and the Big Muddy, and also the central station on the first mail route established between New London and Fayette; and from being located in an area or belt of timber stretching into the Grand Prairie, and was called Middle Grove ...

John G. C. Milligan, a Virginian by birth, built the first house that was put up in the Grove, and in fact, in this section of the county. He was also the first postmaster and the first hotel keeper ...


Middle Grove (Cont)

Middle Grove claims the honor of being the first place where the first store was opened in Monroe County. The house, as already stated, was built by John G. O. Milligan and John Glenn ...

It is situated in the southwest corner of the county on Milligan Creek. (--Williams, 453.)

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 71.)

It is situated on Sec. 8, Twp. 53 N, R. 12 W on M east of Randolph County line.

Mill Grove

See Evansville.

There is a Mill Grove in Mercer Co. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)

Monroe City Monroe Township elevation 730 feet

E. B. Talcott was a partner of John Duff for the building of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad; it was not until 1857 the track was laid in Monroe County. Mr. Talcott knew where the stations would be needed; using that information, he purchased the east half of Sec. 13, Twp. 56 N, R. 8, and laid off the north half of it into what is now (1884) known as the "old town of Monroe City." This was in the spring of 1857.

J. M. Preston erected the first building that was put up in Monroe City. Mr. Preston opened the first business house, it being an eating house. The first regular dry goods store was opened by John Boulware. John Wills was the first saddler. Al Gornell was one of the first blacksmiths ... Dr. Thomas Proctor and Prof. J. M. McCurry opened the first drug store. John Gates was the first postmaster. (--Monroe Co., 163.)

It had 1 female institute, 1 male and female academy, and 1 male academy, 1 steam flouring mill with improved machinery, 1 agricultural implement and 1 coach and wagon factory. (--Campbell, 381; see, also, Conard, Vol. 4, 458, 459.)

It is situated on Secs. 12, 13, Twp. 56 N, Ranges 7 & 8, at the junction of 36 & 24.

It is in both Monroe and Marion Counties. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)

North Fork P. O.

It was located one mile northwest of Clinton, at the house of Samuel McDowell, who was postmaster. (--Monroe Co., 186.)

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 71.)

It was situated on Sec. 33, Twp. 56 N, R. 9 W on P south of Shelby County line.


Paris elevation 655 feet

Paris, the county seat of Monroe County was laid out in the summer of 1831, the location having been selected by Hancock S. Jackson, of Randolph County, Stephen Glasscock, of Ralls County and Joseph Holliday, of Pike County, were the commissioners appointed to select a county seat ... After they had performed their work and made the selection they went to the house of J. C. Fox ... Mrs. Fox was permitted the honor of naming the new town, which she called Paris, after Paris, Kentucky, her old home.

The first houses in the town were erected by J. C. Fox and H. Hackney. Fox commenced building a log house one year before the county seat was located ...

The first store house was built by J. C. Fox on the corner of Main and Caldwell Streets, and was occupied immediately by Fox & Caldwell, with a small stock of goods ...

The first carding machine that was operated in the county was put up by Green V. Caldwell ... in 1830. Caldwell opened a store at the same place in 1831. After the county became settled, carding machines were run at Florida and other places in the county ... (--Monroe Co., 133, 135, 136, 140. see, also Campbell, 381; Conard, Vol. 5, 48, 49.)

It is situated on Secs. 2, 3, 10, 11, Twp. 54 N. R 10 W on 24 north of 15.

Santa Fe

The original proprietor of the old town of Santa Fe was Dr. John S. Bybee, a Kentuckian, who entered and purchased several acres of land in the vicinity. The town was laid out in 1837, and was named after Santa Fe, New Mexico.

The first business house in the town was called a grocery, but would be classed today as a saloon, as whiskey was the chief article of trade. Clemens and Hall started the first general store. Thomas Moseley ... was the first blacksmith in the town ... Dr. Davis was the first physician. Alvin Cauthern was the first tailor. The first church was built by the Methodists prior to 1840. The first mill in this vicinity was erected about the year 1838 by Bybee and Canote, on the South Fork of Salt River, about three miles north of Santa Fe. (--Monroe Co., 181; Campbell, 382.)

It is situated on Sec. 17, 20, Twp. 54 N, R. 3 W on D east of ZZ.

It has been disincorporated since 1950. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)


See Clinton. (--Campbell, 382.)


Stoutsville Jefferson Township elevation 710 feet

Stoutsville is located in the northwestern part of Jefferson Township, on Sec. 13, Twp. 65, R. 9, on the M. K. & T. Railroad and was laid out in 1871. The town was named for Robert P. Stout, a wealthy and influential farmer ... who came to Monroe County from Kentucky, at an early day and died at the age of 67 years. His widow gave the railroad company six acres of land, and to express its appreciation it named the town in honor of her husband.

The first business house in the town was erected by Dennis Thompson and was used as a grocery store ... The first dry goods and general store was opened by Henry Dooley and J. R. Nolen.

Dennis Thompson opened the first drug store ... Jethro Hardwick was the pioneer blacksmith. Dr. Hagan was the first physician. Albert Price was one of the first postmasters ... (--Monroe Co., 157, 156. See, also, Conard, Vol. 6, 99.)

It is situated on Secs. 19, 24, Twp. 53 N, R. 9 W on V south of 24.


This is the name of a post-office in South Fork Township which took its name from Prof. French Strother ... Strother was chiefly known as the seat of Strother Institute, which for many years was a prominent institution of learning ... (--Monroe Co., 182.)

It was ten and a quarter miles southeast of Paris. (--Williams, 453.)

It was situated on Sec. 34, 35, Twp. 54 N, R. 9 W on Z south of 154, southeast of Paris.


See Elizabethtown.


Switzler was a post-office 11 miles southwest of Paris. (--Campbell, 382.)


Tulip was on the Audrain County line. (--Williams, 453.)

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 71.)

It was situated on Sec. 28, Twp. 53 N, R. 11 W on the first county road west of C.



Victor is in the southeast corner of the county, southwest from Florida. (--Williams, 453.)

It is situated on Secs. 17, 18, 19, 20, Twp. 54 N, R. 8 W on 154 south of E.

Mail is via Stoutsville; population 30. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)


Welch was a post-office 10 miles southwest of Paris. (--Campbell, 382.)

It was in the southern portion of the county on R. F. D. from Paris, south of Salt River. (--Williams, 453.)

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 71.)

Monroe County Table of Contents
Local History Home

 Springfield-Greene County Library