GENERAL CONDUCT POLICY
Library Mission Statement
The mission of the Springfield-Greene County Library District is to provide an environment where lifelong learning, self-improvement and self-expression are encouraged and where patrons can meet their educational, informational and recreational needs.
Statement of Policy
The Springfield-Greene County Library District Board of Trustees has adopted the following policy so that the Library may provide an atmosphere conducive to appropriate use of the facilities and to comply with the Library's mission statement.
The Library reserves the right to request that patrons open purses, briefcases, packages and parcels.
Violation of any of these rules can result in temporary expulsion, permanent expulsion or arrest.
The following behaviors and actions are prohibited on Library property:
- Any behavior that is disruptive to Library use
- Obscene or abusive language
- Distributing or posting printed materials that have not been approved by the Library (See Library Policy on Bulletin Board Posting and Literature Distribution)
- Selling or soliciting for money or items or services (Springfield City Code: Article 1, Section 78-2)
- Causing a disturbance while obtaining signatures on a petition. Signatures may not be obtained inside the library except within the context of scheduled meetings in Library meeting rooms.
- Theft or damage to Library property
- Meals or uncovered drinks
- Intoxication or use of tobacco, electronic nicotine delivery systems, alcohol or controlled substances
- Any state of undress including shoes
- Bringing large objects that block access or impede safety
- Carrying weapons of any kind (See Library Policy on Weapons)
- Loitering and/or sleeping
- Skateboarding or roller-skating
- Bringing animals inside Library facilities, except assistance animals
- Leaving children nine years old and under unattended (See Library Policy on Unattended Children)
- To enhance safety, security and service for all, the Library reserves the right to ask patrons to relocate to another area of the building.
These rules are considered to be illustrative and not all-inclusive.
Revised Policy Approved 11/15/16