The Springfield-Greene County Library District (Library) welcomes and encourages gifts and donations to support its current operations and future development. The Library accepts gifts of money, property, print and non-print materials, and bequests which are consistent with the Library's mission statement.
In addition to gifts made directly to the Library, gifts are accepted by the Springfield-Greene County Public Library Foundation (Library Foundation) and Friends of the Springfield-Greene County Library District (Friends of the Library). The donor will determine whether a donation is being given to the Library, Library Foundation or Friends of the Library. The primary function of these support organizations is to provide financial support to the Library. The Library Foundation receives and administers monetary gifts, bequests, endowment funds and other gifts, and conducts fundraising campaigns to support Library projects. The Friends of the Library undertakes a variety of activities, including book sales, to raise funds and support the Library.
- The Library welcomes gifts that further the Library's mission, goals, objectives and priorities.
- Donors may designate monetary gifts for a specific library facility or program.
- The Library encourages donors to give bequests, financial investments, beneficial interest in trust and other sustaining gifts directly to the Library Foundation.
- The Library will consider non-monetary gifts such as artwork, antiques, collectibles or other personal property in light of the gift's relevance to the Library's needs and objectives, the space required to house or store the gift and the cost to maintain or preserve the gift. All accepted gifts become the property of the Library, to be used or disposed of in accordance with the Library's changing needs.
- The Library Director will review gifts of personal property and may recognize the donor with a gift plate on or near the item donated depending on the size and nature of the gift.
Books and Non-Print Material Guidelines:
- The Library welcomes gifts of books and non-print materials (DVDs, CDs, etc.).
- Such gifts are accepted with the understanding that if the Library is unable to use the materials in the collection, they will be donated to the Friends of the Library for inclusion in book sales, the proceeds of which benefit the Library. Unused donations cannot be returned to the donor.
- The Library may add donated materials to the collection provided they meet the same selection criteria required of purchased materials. Donated materials can be withdrawn in the same manner as purchased materials. The Library does not accept responsibility for notifying donors of withdrawal or replacement of donated items.
- Donors wishing to purchase materials for the Library collection are encouraged to submit to the Library a list of items for consideration. The Library is happy to provide donors with a list of needed materials.