"JUDGE JOHN W. D. L. F. MACK. This gentleman is the son of John and Sarah V. (Mack) Mack, and was born in Maury County, Tennessee, January 15, 1821. His great grandfather was a soldier in the Revolution, and his great uncle was one of the men killed at the battle of New Orleans. His father was a native of North Carolina, and his mother of Virginia. He grew to manhood in his native county and lived there until 1852, when he moved to Greene County, Missouri, and located at Springfield.
"In 1855 he accepted the position of deputy circuit clerk, which position he held until 1859, when he was elected circuit clerk and served until 1861. He read law before and during his clerkship and was admitted to the bar in 1856. From 1863 to 1866 inclusive, he was a member of the State Senate, and for some time was adjutant of the 46th Missouri Regiment, U. S. A. He was editor of the Springfield Journal from 1862 to 1865, and from 1867 to 1870 be was prosecuting attorney for Greene county. He then practiced his profession until 1876, when he retired from law and politics and moved out to his farm in Clay Township where he has since given his time and attention to farming. He has a fine farm of three hundred and forty acres. He is a Royal Arch Mason, and has been a member of the Christian Church since the age of twenty-two. He is a self-educated, self-made man never having gone to school a day in his life.
"He was married in 1842 in Maury County, Tennessee. to Miss Sarah E., daughter of Nathaniel G., and Charlotta Murphy. She died in 1849 leaving three children, Francis J. M, Sarah R., and John D. L. W. Judge Mack was married the second time in 1850, to Mary J. Murphy, a sister of his former wife. Their marriage was blest with nine children, seven of whom are now living, Nathaniel C., James B., Mary M., Robert A., Charles L., Minnie L., and William F."
This biography is from the History of Greene County, Missouri. Many Springfield and Greene County histories have been digitized and can be found here. Mr. Mack's obituary in the Springfield Daily Leader August 5, 1890 [available on microfilm at the Library Center] reported that he had been in failing health the last two years and also stated that the Springfield Journal was located on Boonville near Pine Street. Past and Present of Greene County added "the Springfield Journal was published for a few years following the war by J. W. D. L. F. Mack, sometimes referred to by his contemporaries as "Alphabetical Mack". His full name was John William De La Fletcher Mack. Attempts to locate a photograph have failed, so far.
Find this article at