Holiday Hours

Related Resources

Local History 

Bolivar, 1851

 Polk County CourthouseSouthwestern Flag, August 9, 1851, page 3.

Bolivar

"We lately paid a visit to this flourishing town and were favorably impressed with its neat and orderly appearance.

"Before entering the town we stopped to refresh the inner man at a cool, delightful and never failing spring, which makes its appearance near the road side at the south end of town, furnishing an ample supply for all purposes of the citizens. During our sojourn, which was of short duration, we were regaled with the necessaries and comforts of life, served up in a style calculated to please the most fastidious, by that inimitable of hostesses Mrs. Leachman.

"Bolivar is well situated in a healthy and well watered portion of the State and must, being the county seat and the center of business for Polk County, continue to increase in population and business at a healthy rate. The court house for the county is one of the best and most substantial buildings of the kind to be found in South West Missouri, reflecting great credit upon the county, and all engaged in its construction. From our observation, we infer that Bolivar is furnished with business and professional men sufficient for the wants of the county. On the west side of the public square we noticed the business places of J. E. Rains & Co. merchants, W. Grigs, Saddler and Harness maker, the office of Dr. Stayton, the shops and residence of Col. Beaman, “caleb quotem,” [a jack-of-all-trades] Carriage, Wagon and Cabinet maker, a good mechanic and citizen, but an unfortunate politician. South side – Tilton & Sanders and L. Leachman, merchants. East side John W. Wilson & Co., merchants, and on the north side the business houses of W. R. Devin, merchant, and the residence, Drug Store and office of Dr. P.B. Larimore, a good physician, worthy citizen, and our estimable agent. We also noticed the grocery establishment of Thos. Nicholes [sic] and Mr. B. Lunsford, where debility can find a stimulant.

"Preparations are being made for the building of an Academy in a beautiful grove south of the public square, where the rising generation can obtain a complete and thorough English education. The citizens are kind and hospitable, industrious and orderly, evincing no want of enterprise."


The Southwestern Flag microfilm is now available in the Local History department at the Library Center. The microfilm covers November 19, 1849 to October 18, 1851.


Find this article at

JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Free wi-fi

Friends of the library

The Library Foundation

Bookmark and Share

Sign up for the newsletter

© Springfield-Greene County Library District