Pick Up a New Skill at the Library
All the kids are going back to school, so why not pick up a few lessons of your own this month – at the Library? We don’t take attendance, give tests or grades. But we guarantee you’ll learn a lot. Here’s what’s coming up:
- Did you ever want to learn how to play bridge and meet people who are also new to the game and willing to start a bridge club? Members of the Springfield Bridge Center will be at the Brentwood Branch Library at noon on Wednesday, Sept. 5, to give an introduction to contract bridge. Adults are welcome to this session of “You Can Learn to Play Bridge.” For more information call 883-1974.
If you get hooked with that session or can’t come, the Library Center has a how-to series this fall. Members of the Springfield Bridge Center will teach an introductory course for adults at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 17 and 24, and Oct. 1, in the Story Hour Room of the Library Center. Registration begins Tuesday; call 882-0714.
- Our sessions on how to download Library e-books continue at 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 7, in meeting room B of the Library Center. (We’re offering several evening sessions at night later this fall.)
Can’t make it to a class? The Library produced two videos on how to download Library books to Nook and Kindle e-readers. Library instructor Trint Williams shows the simple downloading steps on thelibrary.org/howto. That takes you directly to both videos on YouTube.
- Here’s one just for fun: Scarf-tying Basics. Staff from the Library’s Between Friends Gift Shops will teach how to accessorize your winter wardrobe with scarves. It’s at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 26 at the Brentwood Branch Library.
- Learn to use social media to your business advantage during a series of three talks by Tara Rawlins of RAW Marketing LLC and a SCORE counselor. She’ll talk about social media marketing from 1:30-3 p.m. Sept. 12 in the Library Center auditorium. Registration begins Saturday (Sept 1); call 882-0714. She’ll return Oct. 17 to discuss Facebook; Nov. 1 to discuss Pinterest.
- Learn a new language with a fun, online learning system called Mango Languages. Use your valid library card and see what you can learn at thelibrary.org/mango*.
Some final, important words: Geezerfest! 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 8, Library Center patio. Rock on.
* Library card required for use outside the Library
Find this article at