Get Help Keeping 2010 Goals at the Library
Do your 2010 New Year’s resolutions include a commitment to “go green?” Or is this the year you’ll learn Spanish? Ready to embrace technology?
The Springfield-Greene County Library District has books, audiobooks, videos, Web-based tools, classes and resident experts to help you start fulfilling the resolutions you make this year.
Here’s a sample of what you can do, and how we can help.
- Stretch your entertainment dollars. Check out books, movies, music and audiobooks, or download them on your portable device at thelibrary.org, Download Zone.
- Learn Excel, Internet basics and other computer skills to land a new job or just for fun. EDGE Community Technology Center at Midtown Carnegie Branch Library offers basic and advanced computer classes and self-directed tutorials for adults and senior citizens. See the EDGE schedule at thelibrary.org/edge, get an EDGE catalog at any branch or call 837-5011.
- Get a new job. From the Web site “Research” tab, go to Find A Job, then JobNow*, offering live tutors to help with resume writing, job skill and interview preparation. LearningExpress Library has online help for academic and job test preparation.
- Strike out on your own this year. Prepare with “Independent Living for Young Adults,” and related titles.
- Learn a foreign language with audio materials.
- Plan for retirement in this changed world. Check out titles like “Save Your Retirement: What to do if You Haven’t Saved Enough or if Your Investments Were Devastated by the Market Meltdown.”
- Help your child read. Let him listen to a favorite book being read aloud while following along on the screen. Take thelibrary.org to KidSpace, click Tumblebook Library.
- Downsize and simplify. Check out “Rightsizing Your Life,” and other titles to de-clutter and create stylish storage.
- Get a better night’s sleep. Try the “Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Four-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health,” and other titles.
- Go green. Start with “Easy Green Living,” learn to plant a backyard or container garden, then consult our cookbooks to turn your bounty into meals.
- Fix that clunker in the driveway. Consult the vast reference collection of repair manuals.
Whether 2010 will see you get married, get fit or start a business and you need a little nudge, do what we do – ask a librarian.
Kathleen O’Dell is community relations director for the Springfield-Greene County Library. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Library card required for use outside the Library
Find this article at