Local History and Genealogy Department

Address:
The Library Center
4653 S. Campbell Ave.
Springfield, MO
65810-1723
Phone: (417) 616-0534
Fax: (417)883-9348
E-mail: Ask a Librarian

Stay Informed

Receive the latest updates to this site via e-mail or RSS feed. Signup is quick and easy, just click the applicable link below.

Email List SubscribeE-mail list

RSS FeedRSS feed


ARTICLES

Local History  

Doggie's Valentine

  

A whimsical valentine poem published in the Springfield Leader in 1925.  More...
Local History  

Kentwood Arms

 The Frisco Employee Magazine collection, available on the Local History page, often contains items of interest in Springfield history. For example, the opening of the Kentwood Arms hotel, built by John Woodruff in 1926.  More...
Local History  

Penland Grocery Store

 The old Penland Grocery Store was slated for demolition in 1956. Over seventy years old, the store sold groceries, hay and feed, and served as a community gathering place.   More...
Local History  

Springfield Schools and MLK Day 1992

President Ronald Reagan signed into law Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a federal holiday in 1983.  In 1992, it was not recognized as an official school holiday in Springfield.  However, students were dismissed for the day, as it was considered a teacher-principal work day.  More...
Local History  

George Clark's Side Glances

 Springfield Rotarians unknowingly hosted George Clark, well known syndicated cartoonist of "Side Glances".  More...

JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Free wi-fi

Friends of the library

The Library Foundation

Bookmark and Share

Sign up for the newsletter

© Springfield-Greene County Library District