All Library branches will be closed and the Mobile Library will not make its scheduled stops on Monday, May 25, in observance of Memorial Day.
HISTORICAL POSTCARDS OF SPRINGFIELD,
Junior High School
This postcard is a black-and-white photograph of Jarrett Junior
High School on a winter day (note the trees), possibly in the 1940s
or 1950s. The school was constructed on the site of the former Owen
family home, also known as the Lucy McCammon House. This house had
been important in Springfield's history and was built in 1851.
Jarrett was constructed in 1921 to 1923 at what is now 840 South
Jefferson. It sits on the east side of South Jefferson just north
of Grand Street. The tract of land originally held the former John
Polk Campbell home (925 South Jefferson) which was moved 500 feet
to a lot behind the tract to make way for the school.
The school was named for J.H. Jarrett, member of the Springfield
Board of Education from 1900 to 1915. The first principal of the
school was Mr. M.R. Rice. Some interesting facts about Jarrett mentioned
in the Springfield Leader and Press "Know Your Schools" column
in 1954 were that every year Jarrett produced a student operetta
and the school newspaper was called The Broadcaster.
Jarrett Junior High School became Jarrett Middle School in 1994,
along with the other Springfield junior high schools, except for
Pleasant View, which had begun a pilot middle school program in
1991. Some of the city's other junior high/middle schools had trouble
making the transition, but Jarrett was considered Springfield's
model middle school. It still has good student test scores and few