GENERAL CONDUCT POLICY
Library Mission Statement
The mission of the Springfield-Greene County Library District is to improve and enrich the lives of our users through information, education and recreation. The Library values the citizens of Greene County and responds to their needs by providing clean and inviting buildings, well-organized and up-to-date collections, friendly professional service and well-trained staff who are committed to the Library vision.
A thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community
Statement of Policy
The Springfield-Greene County Library District Board of Trustees has adopted the following policy so that the Library may provide an atmosphere conducive to appropriate use of the facilities and to comply with the Library's mission statement.
The Library reserves the right to request that patrons open purses, briefcases, packages and parcels.
Violation of any of these rules can result in temporary expulsion, permanent expulsion or arrest.
The following behaviors and actions are prohibited on Library property:
- Any behavior that is disruptive to Library use
- Obscene or abusive language
- Distributing or posting printed materials that have not been approved by the Library (See Library Policy on Bulletin Board Posting and Literature Distribution)
- Selling or soliciting for money or items or services (Springfield City Code: Article 1, Section 78-2)
- Causing a disturbance while obtaining signatures on a petition. Signatures may not be obtained inside the library except within the context of scheduled meetings in Library meeting rooms.
- Theft or damage to Library properties
- Meals or uncovered drinks
- Intoxication or use of tobacco, electronic nicotine delivery systems, alcohol or controlled substances
- Any state of undress including shoes
- Bringing large objects that block access or impede safety
- No person shall possess, on Library District premises, a weapon of any kind, unless authorized by law. (See Library Policy on Weapons)
- Loitering and/or sleeping
- Skateboarding or roller-skating
- Bringing animals inside Library facilities, except service dogs and, where reasonable, miniature horses, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Leaving children nine years old and under unattended (See Library Policy on Unattended Children)
- To enhance safety, security and service for all, the Library reserves the right to ask patrons to relocate to another area of the building.
These rules are considered to be illustrative and not all-inclusive.
Revised Policy Approved by Library Board 2/20/18