LIBRARY MISSION STATEMENT, VALUES & STRATEGIC PLAN
"Building a stronger community by enabling lifelong learning and enrichment."
"A thriving Library that is an integral part of the lives of the community"
- ConfidenceTo be certain of trustworthiness.
- EmpowermentTo give someone the means or ability to do something.
- ExcellenceTo be the best in everything we do.
- InclusionTo invite and welcome.
- InnovationTo start or provide something new.
- RespectTo treat all people with dignity.
- SynergyTo produce a combined effect greater than what we can do individually.
Strategic Initiative 1: Strengthen Financial Resources
Goal 1: Diversify our income stream and better organize cash flow.
- Identifying process efficiencies, such as centralized ordering.
- Improved payment options for library users.
- Providing library users with expanded access to fee-based services, such as home delivery of materials.
- Room rentals for special events.
- Benchmark percent of revenue by source category against peer library systems with median peer percentages as targets.
- Total fiscal year activity-based revenue with target of 5 percent increase over the prior year.
Goal 2: Analyze whether the district has sufficient fiscal resources to effectively serve all citizens of Greene County.
- Analyze existing services and programs to maximize positive impact for library users.
- Collect and review best practices from peer library systems.
- Define effective service and service population for the library system, and each location.
- Review hours of operation for each library location based on user needs.
- Benchmark per capita revenue against peer library systems with a target of revenue that is above the median.
- Percent of Greene County residents that live within the defined service area for each library location with a target of reaching 100 percent coverage.
Goal 3: Continually increase the reserve fund towards the goal of 30 percent of the operating budget by the end of five years.
- Determine priorities for reserve fund.
- Perform an initial analysis to identify and fund cash carry forward reserve needs.
- Use former budgeted debt service funds to increase reserves towards goal.
- Reserve fund as a percentage of the total operating budget with a target of reaching 30 percent or more.
Strategic Initiative 2: Improve Access to Services for All Citizens of Greene County
Goal 1: Analyze equity of current access points and determine future needs for access.
- Define intended service area population for each branch and evaluate their needs.
- Evaluate access point options including emerging categories such as kiosks or delivery services.
- Improve collection diversity and accessibility based on community needs.
- Increased engagement with the community to identify and meet needs.
- Number of active library users as a percent of the Greene County population with a target of increasing over the prior year's rate.
- Resident satisfaction with library access as measured by an annual survey with a target of 90 percent satisfaction.
Goal 2: Expand community, corporate, and neighborhood partnerships to increase access points.
- Analyze existing and potential partnerships to increase service reach.
- Building upon small business and entrepreneurial connections through the Business Connect program.
- Dedicating staff time and development for community outreach and engagement.
- Ensuring the Library is represented through staff participation in community organizations and decision making processes.
- Number of community organizations that have active Library partnerships with a target of increasing over the prior year.
- Library net promoter score as measured by an annual survey of community partners with a target of improvement over the prior year results.
Goal 3: Expand outreach collaboratives and partnerships to provide access and services to underserved populations; including non-readers, non-English speakers, and non-library users.
- Build upon community partnerships for improved service outreach, such as school partnerships.
- Diversity and inclusion services and staffing initiatives to improve access.
- Identify service gaps through geographic analysis of active card holders relative to population.
- Proactive engagement by engaging groups and organizations with members in underserved populations.
- Number of one-on-one conversations with Greene County residents to collect Library feedback with an annual target of 1,000 or more.
Strategic Initiative 3: Enhance the Total User Experience
Goal 1: Evaluate the current branches for the addition of multi-use spaces including outdoor, meeting and study areas and drive-up windows.
- Expand the Library Center auditorium to meet community needs for large events and programs.
- Improve outdoor spaces including through community partnerships with organizations such as the Park Board.
- Pursue the "Museum Model" for library spaces with permanent and traveling displays for users.
- Upgrade existing locations to provide better furnishings, lighting, accessibility, technology and virtual friendly rooms.
- Total library traffic with target of 10 percent increase over the prior year.
- Number of people and organizations who were unable to reserve space due to Library capacity with a target of 0.
Goal 2: Enhance the digital user experience.
- Improve software for user functions, such as replacing the SPACES software.
- Improve user access through training and additional digital resources, including a library user app and federated search.
- Increase online self-service options, including payments, Library Foundation donations and program registrations.
- Provide accessible virtual options for event attendance and participation.
- Percent of library users who report using digital services or resources as measured by an annual survey with a target of increase relative to last year's results.
- Percent of library user satisfaction with digital resources and services as measured by an annual survey with a target of 90 percent satisfaction
Goal 3: Enhance all aspects of the library's collection.
- Continue to explore opportunities to "Merchandise" collection displays to improve user access.
- Encourage patron engagement/suggestions in collection purchasing decisions.
- Prioritize staff time for development of reader advisory skills.
- Promote collection diversity and inclusion.
- Number of collection items checked out divided by total collection size with annual target of increase relative to the past year's ratio.
- Percent of library user satisfaction with physical collection as measured by an annual survey with a target of 90 percent satisfaction.
Goal 4: Increase public awareness of library services.
- Develop education programs on library services for internal audiences including users.
- Invest in advertising and content creation, such as hiring a videographer, to improve information provided to residents.
- Leverage community partnerships and engagement to reach a broader audience.
- Professional development for staff to act as ambassadors promoting library offerings to the community.
- Overall resident awareness of library services as measured by an annual survey with target of increase relative to the prior year's awareness results.