Has Your Car Been Recalled?
The best "one-stop" Web site to learn about recalls on all types of products is recalls.gov. In addition to motor vehicles, it provides information about recalls on food, medicine, boats, and other consumer products.
Most automobile manufacturers have recall information on their own Web sites, but it is often intended for current owners and may require some form of vehicle or owner identification:
- General Motors (requires a Yahoo ID!)
- Chrysler, Dodge, (requires VIN number of your vehicle)
Other articles on current recalls can be found at many of the car review sites:
- Consumer Reports on the sudden-acceleration problem in several makes of cars.
- Edmunds on the Toyota recall
- Consumer Affairs offers a list of automotive recalls by make
The Library provides access to several databases with recall information:
- Automotive Repair Reference Center* has Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls for most vehicles listed by year, make, and model.
- General OneFile* has the full text of hundreds of articles found under the subject of Automobile Industry -- Product Defects and Recalls* or search for a specific vehicle, such as "Toyota and recalls".
Find this article at