The Academy Awards, March 7th, 2010
The Academy Awards, or the Oscars, are a yearly event at which the film industry is recognized and rewarded. This fantastic event has been attracting celebrities and film buffs alike since 1929.
After heading to the box office to see the newest movies, we sit in front of the television waiting to see if our favorite film, actor or actress will win the prized Oscar. Many of us dream of walking down the red carpet and hobnobbing with stars, but few of us will ever have the chance to view the Academy Awards outside of our living rooms.
Now there are several ways to personally experience this event:
- View the Academy Awards Website and participate in predictions, trivia, and voting.
- Celebrate the Oscars online. The KSPR Red Carpet Movie Contest allows you to register and vote on your choices for awards and possibly win a collection of DVDs. You can play with friends and family to create a real party atmosphere.
- Oscar Night America is an official Oscar-sanctioned watch party being held at Hammons Hall. This event will raise money for Isabel's House and give you an opportunity to win a raffle and other cool prizes. Call 417-831-1029 to find out more and purchase tickets.
As always, the Library has books to deepen your appreciation of the Oscars:
- The Academy Awards: the Complete Unofficial History by Gail Kinn and Jim Piazza.
- Made for Each Other: Fashion and the Academy Awards by Bronwyn Cosgrave.
- All about Oscar: the History and Politics of the Academy Awards by Emanuel Levy.
Find this article at