The Library Express East is temporarily out of service. Patrons with items being held at the Library Express East may call (417) 882-0714 to make arrangements for pickup.

Changes coming to MOBIUS soon! Find out more.

The Library

thelibrary.org Springfield-Greene County Library District Springfield, Missouri
Local History

Old Fairgrounds

"All of the stock in the property of the Springfield District Fair Association, including the race course, buildings and grounds has now passed into the hands of E.C. Jones, president of the State Savings bank, and W.T. Bigbee. As told in The Republican from time to time, the present owners, after the baseball season is ended, will raze all the buildings on the ground and plat the tract.

"After the streets have been laid out there will be about 300 lots for sale. The race track will be graded down to a level with the rest of the tract and the lake drained and filled. The race course is considered one of the fastest in the southwest, but will have to go to make room for greater Springfield. The buildings are valued at $6,000 as old lumber. Mr. Jones owns the controlling interest, holding all but about twelve shares, which are in the name of Mr. Bigbee."

Republican, May 1, 1907.

This area was called the Driving Park Addition and eventually became part of Missouri State University's campus. The 1902 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map images, above, are courtesy of the University of Missouri Digital Library.

Find this article at