HISTORICAL POSTCARDS OF SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI
O'Reilly General Hospital (view 2 of 3)
O'Reilly General Hospital was named in honor of Robert Maitland O'Reilly, a former Surgeon General of the United States Army. It was founded in 1941 and occupied 158 acres of land bounded by Division, Fremont, Pythian and Glenstone Streets. The postcard's caption states "O'Reilly General Hospital Ward Buildings. These are just a few of the number of buildings housing the patients." The postcard is published by Ozark News Agency, Springfield, Missouri.
O'Reilly General Hospital is considered to be the catalyst that launched Springfield into one of the major health care centers of the region. O'Reilly was considered a model for other army hospitals and attracted skilled medical personnel from all over the nation.
After World War II the hospital spent several years as a Veterans' Hospital and then in 1955 Evangel College began in the O'Reilly buildings. To this day Evangel University makes use of some of the old buildings.