A PROJECT OF THE UNIVERSITY CLUB
MARKER NUMBER FOUR
FIRST MILLSITE IN SOUTHWEST MISSOURI
This marker, of the first millsite in southwest Missouri, was missing even before 1939 when C.F. McCormick photographed all of the University Club markers. It had been located near the northwest corner of the old Ozark bridge, west of old highway U.S. 65 on the north side of the James River.
The U.S.G.S. legal location was NW 1/4, NE 1/4, SEC 21, T28W, R21W, Galloway Quadrant.
The text of the marker read as follows:
"SITE OF THE FIRST GRIST MILL IN GREENE COUNTY AND AS FAR AS KNOWN, IN SOUTHWEST MISSOURI. DAM & MILL ERECTED BY _________* INGLE, 1822. OSAGE INDIANS FORDED HERE ON THEIR MAIN TRAIL TO WHITE RIVER HUNTING GROUNDS. MARKER ERECTED 1921 BY KIWANIS CLUB OF SPRINGFIELD" (*FIRST NAME NOT KNOWN.)
Note: The Ozark Genealogical Society recently had correspondence with a descendant of Mr. Ingle. His name was James Ingle.
—Prepared by Robert Lewis.