Geek Out at LibraryCon July 24-25
June 5, 2015 — Where will you find authors, illustrators, movie makers and costumed fans this summer? At The Library’s first-ever LibraryCon! Join us July 24-25 at the Library Center for film screenings, panel discussions, special guests and more. You don’t need no stinkin’ badges to attend this comic and pop culture convention, and all programs are free! Family-friendly cosplay is welcome and encouraged, but please leave all weaponry at home.
Join us for these LibraryCon events:
Friday, July 24
- 6:30-8:30 p.m. for age 13 and older in the auditorium. "Drifter: Lonesome Highway" Screening and Q&A. Watch three episodes from the second season of "Drifter," rated PG-13, a Web series produced and filmed in Springfield, and set in a post-second civil war Midwest landscape. Enjoy a Q&A with the cast and director Jason Brasier after the screening.
Saturday, July 25
- 11:15 a.m. for children of all ages in the Story Hour Room. Fandom Starts Early Storytime. Geek out at storytime as we read, sing and play games about the best fandoms for your kids.
- 1 p.m. for grade 6 and older in the auditorium. How to Cosplay. Learn about making costumes and getting involved in the local cosplay scene from a panel of area cosplayers.
- 2:30 p.m. for grade 6 and older in the auditorium. Author Panel. Authors Chris T. Acadian, "The Shifter;" Bethany Hagen, "Landry Park;" and Holly Schindler, "Feral," will talk about their writing and their journeys to publication.
- 4 p.m. for grade 6 and older in the auditorium. Illustrator Panel. Comic book creators and illustrators will discuss their work.
- 6 p.m. for age 13 and older in the auditorium. "The Midwest in Panels" Screening and Q&A. Join us for a special screening of the Kickstarter-funded documentary, "The Midwest in Panels," rated PG-13, a road trip documentary featuring comic book stores throughout the Midwest. Creator, director and star Captain Logan from Geekvolution will join us for a Q&A after the screening.