Now You Can Check Out Library Items on Your Smartphone
June 3, 2020 — In this era of COVID-19 precautions, the Springfield-Greene County Library now offers a completely touchless way to check out books and other materials. People can borrow items with their smartphone using a new app called cloudLibrary.
There’s no waiting in line. And because users can borrow materials directly with their own mobile devices, it can reduce the fear or anxiety for library users looking for no-contact interactions. Patrons can also check out items through a self-check machine, but it still requires using a touch-screen terminal.
CloudLibrary is provided by library technology company Bibliotheca, and funded by the Friends of the Library.
Here’s how it works:
- Download cloudLibrary via the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Follow prompts to enter your state and log into the Springfield-Greene County Library with your card number.
- At the bottom, click “checkout” and scan the Library’s barcode on the item. Repeat for all items you wish to borrow.
- Finish the checkout process within the app, making sure all items have been scanned and checked out.
The cloudLibrary app serves as a personal self-check option, with a few extras.
Using cloudLibrary, users can:
- check out items from the Library using your phone,
- view all checked out items,
- view all holds,
- keep a history of what you've read/checked out,
- create a virtual bookbag to help you prepare to return materials to the library,
- add family member's cards and switch easily between them, or
- be super cool and customize your account with an avatar or change your color scheme.