HISTORICAL POSTCARDS OF SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI
Public Square (view 2 of 7)
This postcard is postmarked November 4, 1910 to Miss Lucile Morris in Dadeville. This photograph was taken after the first postcard because the Smith Clothing Company has a permanent sign. The County Courthouse is the building at the left, on the north corner of College. This is the area where the current Heer's Building stands. Smith Clothing and High Class Clothing are the businesses in the next two buildings. The building behind the Gottfried Tower appears to be vacant. The five-story building on the right is the National Exchange Bank, where the State Office Building currently stands. The infamous Gottfried Tower, where the 1906 lynching was carried out, is in the foreground. A trolley can be seen on the lower right hand portion of the postcard.