HISTORICAL POSTCARDS OF SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI
Public Square (view 6 of 7)
This postcard shows a view looking west down College Street after the "Pie" was removed and the Square was opened to thru traffic in 1947. The J. J. Newberry Co. is the building on the far left, followed by Woolworth's and Springfield Finance Loans. Across College Street is the famous Heer's Department Store at the zenith of its power. There appears to be plenty of metered parking spaces in the photograph. The caption on the back of the card states: "The Public Square of Springfield, Missouri is located in the center of the main business section. Springfield, largest city in the Southwest Missouri, with a population of over 85,000 people, is the Heart of the famed Ozarks."